We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bears in July

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Bears in July

Hi everyone,

We're taking our kids (7, 10 and 12 years old) to BC in July. I definitely want to schedule a bear tour, I've been reading the great reviews and have to make my choice. One of the things I'm really not sure about is: is July a good time to see the bears?

Thanks for letting me (and others!) know about what you did and saw that time of the year if you've been there.

L.

Blind Bay, BC
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bears in July

Which tour company are you considering? From what I found there are several available in different parts of the province.

You are asking this question in the Vancouver forum.. it's a bit of distance ( hours/ kms ) from Vancouver ( major city ) to the places ( small towns ) where they have the bear tours.. Can you give us a bit more information on which tours you're thinking of?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,201 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bears in July

Well, you won't find any bears in Vancouver. Bears may be wandering the neighbourhoods on the North Shore in July. It depends if their food supply up in the woods is any good. If not, they tend to come into neighbourhoods to forage for garbage. Later in the summer they love raiding fruit that has not yet been picked from backyard trees. But you don't want to be near those bears.

There are grizzlies in an enclosure at the top of Grouse, plus other wildlife. And there are bear tours about 7-8 hours away from Vancouver on the northern end of Vancouver Island.

cbc.ca/canada/…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4_4PbOswwc

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bears in July

I thought I posted my question in the forum that seemed to have received questions about bear tours. I was looking at the Knight Inlet Lodge (but it looks more expensive for a family) and Tide Rip Tours in Telegraph Cove.

Thanks for your input.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,201 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bears in July

There will be a lot of people on the Vancouver forum who can give you specific details. Especially about Knight Inlet and Tide Rip Tours. Many of us use the British Columbia forum which gives all the subforums for the whole province. So don't go away yet.

I just did a British Columbia Forum Search for "bear tours." (the search bar just above the top of the questions on the BC Forum.) There are many threads for you to browse through. Just keep an eye down the right side for recent dates. Some of the threads are quite old. You could actually do a search for KIL and TRT yourself because there would be some threads, and maybe even TA Reviews, on those as well. Just know that these two places that you mentioned are at the northern tip of Vancouver Island and 6-7 hours drive away.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums?scope=2&ff=80&geo=154922&q=bear+tours&sub-search.x=0&sub-search.y=0&sub-search=Click+to+search+forums&returnTo=__2F__

Edited: 25 June 2010, 02:33
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,201 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bears in July

p.s. the more information about what you are looking for, when you are coming, what amount of time you will have, car or not, a tentative itinerary, the better answers/ suggestions you will get.

Edited: 25 June 2010, 02:36
Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,614 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bears in July

Hah...I have been on the search for bears as well....Im 42 and was born in van...grew up on the west side...lived near grouse mountain for 3 years.....have been to the whistler dump (where they were supposed to be a common site)....I have never seen a wild bear except on my alaska cruise and it was about the size of a pencil dot....about 2 miles away.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,614 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bears in July

would you settle for whales?

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,248 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Bears in July

There are Bear viewing tours out of Whistler-not cheap.

Also the Tofino/Ucluelet area has combined Whale/Bear tours as does Campbell River with Aboriginal Journeys.

http://www.aboriginaljourneys.com/

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,165 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bears in July

The Tofino bear watching is to see black bears. Have been on a fam tour with one company and I am sure it is impressive if you have never seen a black bear but more impressive was the black bear licking my brother in law's bbq on the North Shore will I stood behind a extremely thin pane of glass.

Knights Inlet is the Grizzly destination you want and have never heard a bad thing yet.

Vancouver
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Bears in July

Just came back from an overnighter in Whistler and saw bears once again along the road to the Olympic Ski Jump site. We have only been down this road three times over the last couple of years and have seen bears (and once a wolf) everytime.

We are usually heading back to the city around dusk and this afternoon didn't think we would see any as it was mid-afternoon and close to 90 degrees out.

With the amount of bear scat along the roads it looks like there are a lot in the area and today we saw six!

There were 2 females, 1 cinnamon male and a female with 2 cubs.

They are grazing on clover along side the road close to the Olympic site.

I think you have a greater chance of seeing them here in the summer at a closer distance than you would on any tour.