We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tickets to Watch Celebration of Light?

Des Moines, IA
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Tickets to Watch Celebration of Light?

My husband and I (from the US) will be in Vancouver July 21-24 staying at a hotel downtown. I just found out about the fireworks display and know it is free but wondered if I should spend $65.25 per ticket for seating, burger and 1 drink at the Bathhouse Roof in English Bay. Can anyone tell me if they think its worth it or where I might get reserved seating at a place close to downtown for less? We really don't want to pack a blanket, etc. to sit on the grass all afternoon because of our short time to tour the area. Thanks!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
489 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tickets to Watch Celebration of Light?

If you are looking for convenience then book the seat at the boathouse. If you want to sit down on the beach with the rest of us, then don't bother. It really depends what you want!

Des Moines, IA
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tickets to Watch Celebration of Light?

Thanks for your response. Can you tell me about what time we would need to be at the beach? We won't have chairs with us as we are flying to BC and staying in a hotel.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,615 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tickets to Watch Celebration of Light?

Any time is fine really...as the viewing area is so big. Yes it gets very crowded but you will find a spot. There are logs on the beach all year round placed there for windblocking I guess. Many will set up and reserve a log hours and hours before sunset. In my opinion 65 dollars for an uncomfortable seat and a hamburger is not really worth it considering most will have the exact same view. Many people don't even bother to sit down...Many walk along the sea wall and then just stop when the fireworks start and watch. I think they last about 20 or 25 minutes.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,733 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tickets to Watch Celebration of Light?

There would be three benefits: being able to arrive at 9:45 instead of 7 pm, sit on arguably comfortable chairs instead of the ground and private toilets. Here is the website, Click on the red sticker, top right to see what's included in the price.

http://www.celebration-of-light.com/

Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,615 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tickets to Watch Celebration of Light?

Since you will very likley be walking down to english bay from your hotel, you may consider walking down davie street that will lead you right to English Bay. At 1252 Davie Street there is a dollar store that would probably have cheap roll up bamboo mats.

Des Moines, IA
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tickets to Watch Celebration of Light?

What a GREAT idea! Thank you SO much! I read about the streets that are closed and restrictions for non-residents so appreciate your help. We missed all the fireworks in Iowa due to rain so can't wait to see these.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,749 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Tickets to Watch Celebration of Light?

$65.25 for a paper plate of cold grilled grease and a warm can of pop!

Even the plastic chair and the porta-potty don't make up for the supreme injustice of that price.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
164 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tickets to Watch Celebration of Light?

I think you should skip the burger and pop deal. It's actually not really a deal. Bring a blanket and some snacks. You can sit on the beach and enjoy the show. It's not as comfortable as a chair, but I love it.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,733 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tickets to Watch Celebration of Light?

There's no question the fireworks are a very popular attraction in the summer. About 300,000 (Des Moines current population?) will be on the beach at English Bay with the rest of the total 1.5 million spread out around Vancouver and West Vancouver. There will be enough police presence at EB and if you just go with the flow after, you will have a leisurely walk with the crowds down the middle of the streets back to your hotel. Keep track of your valuables. If the tide's out, don't sit too close to the water because it may wash you out as it comes back in.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,749 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Tickets to Watch Celebration of Light?

"About 300,000 (Des Moines current population?) will be on the beach at English Bay with the rest of the total 1.5 million spread out around Vancouver and West Vancouver. "

Um.........No.

Those numbers are *****vastly***** inflated-straight off the keyboard of some media flack with a job to do/hype to create.

Note that I live on one of the main streets in Kitsilano where the crowds ebb and flow and the past 5 years have seen numbers drop significantly-the crowds don't fill the streets like they used to-not even close.