We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don't laugh!

Ky
Level Contributor
40 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Don't laugh!

This might sound silly but what's the chance we will be able to see some of the light celebration from our ship that will be sailing from Canada Place at 5pm on the 21st.? Just wondering!

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Don't laugh!

Fireworks starts at 10PM.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
487 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Don't laugh!

5pm will still be light out (it doesn't get dark until around 9:30pm or later) the fireworks start around 10pm, and are from English Bay, so you wont see them at all unfortunately.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
2,285 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Don't laugh!

Everyone once and awhile some ships wait around to let the passengers view the fireworks. Then they set off. I do not know how often this happens and I don't know what the chances of your ship doing this are.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,973 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Don't laugh!

It will depend on the tide. I have seen the cruise ships stop in the harbour, but they have to pass under the Lions Gate Bridge at low tide, and I doubt that they would be able to stop in the harbour for that long.

However, is 5 pm your boarding time or your sailing time? As I recall, it takes a good 3 - 4 hrs to board the ship, so you might be boarding at 5 but sailing after 9, in which case you will likely see them.

Ky
Level Contributor
40 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Don't laugh!

We sail at 5 PM. Thanks for the info. Hope to have a good time!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
326 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Don't laugh!

Cruise ships typically leave the dock between five and six; tides are not an issue for bridge clearance, which is 200 ft. at high tide. We sometimes see a ship anchored in English Bay to see the fireworks, so best bet is to call the cruise line help no. and ask. Chances are they'll claim ignorance. So ask at the front desk when you get on board; be a pest until you get an answer. Chances are better that the ship will pause if there's a high tide at or near 10-11 p.m. That means the ship gets a free boost for the first six hours of the trip.

7. Re: Don't laugh!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2011, 06:16