We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Victoria

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Hartford, New...
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Victoria

I'll be in Victoria on July 30th to Aug.1st. Where is a good reasonable priced place to stay? I'll have a car. What is the best way to get from Port Angeles to Victoria? Is taking the car better than renting a car there - want to see some lighthouses while there? What do you know about The James Bay Inn? What lighthouses are there?

Illinois
Level Contributor
506 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Victoria

We stayed at the Coast Harbourside last summer and were very satisfied. It's situated right on the water and is about a 10-minute walk along the seawall (very enjoyable) from the Victoria central waterfront. Hotel offers free shuttle service and has a great restaurant. Helpful staff. Soothing modern decor. Also, we got a good price break through United Airlines. Would not hesitate to stay there again if we return to Victoria. Enjoy your trip!

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,929 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Victoria

The Port Angeles ferry terminates dead centre of downtown Victoria. No need for a car. The docks are there too. Charter a Zodiac and go 12 miles to the Race Rocks Lighthouse. Ask for a lighthouse tour. Consider staying at the iconic Fairmont Empress Hotel. There are better hotels for the money but no better for her history.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Victoria

Yes, the Coho docks in the James Bay area to one side of the Inner Harbour in Victoria. All of downtown Victoria is walkable from there. We have stayed at the Best Western Inner Harbour and the Royal Scot (both just up from the ferry dock, 1 - 2 blocks) and have been quite happy with them. The Harbour Towers, which people sometime recommend on this forum, is also in the same area. Except, perhaps, if you want to go to Butchart Gardens, you don't really need a car in Victoria. Even for the Gardens, there are bus tours you can get. Enjoy your holiday!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,960 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Victoria

July 30 - August 2 is a long weekend here. It will be very busy on the roads.

http://cohoferry.com/main/

Here is a site all about the lighthouses of BC. Scroll down for the ones near Victoria and Vancouver Island. You would likely want to use your car.

http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/lighthouse/bc.htm

The James Bay Inn was built about 1910 or so. It will have amenities that reflect what plumbing and room size were standard in those days.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
487 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Victoria

Try the Best Western Carleton Plaza.

I love the location, and you cannot beat the prices!

Sydney, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Victoria

We stayed at the Huntingdon Manor hotel - just near the Empress. We got a really good deal over the internet and we were very happy with it.

If you go to the Butchart gardens there is a local bus which will get you there for about $1.50 one way (enquire) or else you will pay $7.50 one way on the tour buses. The high tea is very nice there as well (if you have the time) but do not miss the Gardens - it certainly is a must. although I think it will be busy.

Have fun

New Hartford, New...
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Victoria

Thanks to all of you who responded. I'm looking forward to my time there and your sggestions helped. Thanks!

8. Re: Where to stay in Victoria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2011, 06:16