We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help

Denmark
Level Contributor
164 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Please help

Dear all

For a long time I've wanted to go to Cananda more exact the west coast of Canada. I've considered many options (Train rides from east to west, guided tours that included cruises to Alaska etc) but none of them have been realised so far.

To put som presure on my self I've now booked the airplane ticket :o) I'll be arriving in Vancouver August 21st and will leave Vancouver again August 31st.

I have absolutely no idea what to do there - I'll be travelling alone (38 yo male) and kindly ask for any advice/ideas you might have.

I have some friends in Prince George it could be fun visiting for a few days but it's not a must.

I've looked into different tours (Rocky Mountaineer, different local companies etc) but for the first time I'm really not sure what to do.

At previous trips I've had great experiences with meeting volunteer guides and locals (in NYC, Hong Kong etc.) - Some of which I've became friends with.

I would of course like to experience the great nature of Canada and to see the hidden gems and of course the turists sites of Vancouver but other than that I'm quite open. It could include everything from different events to trips with trains, busses etc. outside of Vancouver.

Any input you can contribute with will be highly appreciated and if you are considering visiting Denmark I would of course be more than happy to help any way possible.

Thanks in advance

The great dane

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,918 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help

Are you into outdoor activites such as kayaking? I ask because I'd be tempted to have you spend 2 or 3 days in vancouver itself then I'd head for Vancouver Island for a 3 or 4 day Kayaking trip.. this would put you with a smaller group and let you really experience the west coast..from there I'd head to Whistler for a few days as with only 9 days you don't really have time to make it to the Rockies.

I'd contact someone like Kingfisher kayak to see if they have space.

www.kingfisher-adventures.com/multi_day.htm

Arrive 21st.. Vancouver possibly Stanley park, Yaletown ( depending on jet lag ;)

22 Vancouver

23 vancouver then fly to Port Hardy

24-27 kayaking

28 fly back to lower Mainland and then bus up to Whistler

29 Whistler

30 Whistler then back to vancouver

31 home

this is just a rough idea of how you might allocate time..what are your interests? all outdoors? hiking ? art galleries? fine dining? we have all of that in vancouver..plus much more..

Vancouver
Level Contributor
489 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help

Hello! What an amazing trip you have planned. Have you booked accommodations yet? I would think about staying somewhere like Robson Suites where you have laundry facilities, kitchen etc. OR if you are looking to save money, the hostels here are a great way to do that AND to meet like minded travelers.

I would recommend a couple of things if you are in town for that length of time. If you have some extra money that you dont mind spending. I would seriously consider flying to Tofino which is on the island. It is GORGEOUS there and they have great Surfing and surf lessons if it is of interest to you.

Also, my FAVORITE place in the West Coast is Banff. Which you could also make arrangements to fly to and take a tour www.banfftours.com you could even head up to the Glacier tours www.explorerockies.com

If you flew their early morning, explored Banff, took day two for a big tour and then the next day flew back early to Vancouver, you would have a great Canadian experience in a short amount of time!

In Vancouver, you can always do lots of great hiking. here is some info: www.vancouvertrails.com

Grouse Mountain is great, the gondola ride up is great! www.grousemountain.com

A drive up (or the train!) to Whistler is absolutely beautiful and there you can do Ziplining and hiking too!

I just want to mention a really great place on Vancouver Island called Cathedral Grove. They have some HUGE trees www.cathedralgrove.se and it is a true West Coast Experience. If you decided to fly to Tofino, you could always rent a car and drive back and stop off here. Just an idea.

So there are a bunch of thoughts on things to do, I wanted to mention those areas away from Vancouver that are really special. There are SO many amazing places though so just really do your research and jam pack as much in to your trip as you can!!! HAVE FUN!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
489 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help

also, I will just mention. I don't know if you are a wine enthusiast, but BC has some great wineries in the Okanagan www.okanagan.com and it is really lovely up there as well.

Also, if you love food, try one of these tours http://vancouverfoodtour.com/ while you are in Vancouver. To experience some of the great food that Vancouver has to offer!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
58,373 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help

The southern half of our province, the half that is easiest and most practical to visit, is 11 times larger than the area of Denmark. so.... will you be renting a car?

My choice for the top three locations to visit is Vancouver Island - Tofino and the northern tip near Pt. McNeill and Telegraph Cove. Here is where you would experience wilderness and hiking, grizzly bear watching tours, and water activities like kayaking (as mentioned by T47.) Campbell River has whale watching tours. But public transportation is very poor and using a car would be the best option.

Second is the Rockies. You would need to take one overnight on the way and then a recommended 3-5 nights there. And a one overnight to come back to Van. Now that you've booked your airline ticket! I can tell you that it is possible to depart from Calgary. There would be some expense involved with a possible one way rental drop fee and changing your airfare, so maybe that would not be worth it.

Third is the Okanagan - between Vernon and Osoyoos. Lots of sunshine, some wineries and at Osoyoos, there is a pocket desert - http://www.desert.org/home08.html. There are all kinds of outdoor activities in the Okanagan.

And of course Vancouver.

What are your interests? Otherwise our suggestions could be endless.

Denmark
Level Contributor
164 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help

Thanks a lot for all of your kind input! It's highly appreciated!!

I guess I still have some thinking to do ;o)

Best regards - The great dane

6. Re: Please help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2011, 05:18