We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation choice & location at end of land & sea trip.

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pokeno
Level Contributor
49 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation choice & location at end of land & sea trip.

Hi, We arrive on Aug. 25th and have booked 5 nights at the Rosedale on Robson before a 13 day coach tour including the Rockies and Victoria followed by a 7 day Alaskan cruise returning to Vancouver Sat Sept 18. We like self catering, walking & gardens We wondered whether we should stay our last 4 nights at Sunset Suites. Is this location different enough and should we book in advance? Haven't travelled on organized tours since our honeymoon and hope we have enough energy to enjoy our last few days. Really appreciate the info. found on Tripadvisor.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,108 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation choice & location at end of land & sea trip.

Welcome to the Vancouver Forum,

Wow! your plans sound absolutely wonderful.

Many people would agree with Sunset Suites, but I am not one of them. Not for quality at all, but for location. Although downtown Vancouver is very compact and easy to walk around, this hotel is located slightly off the beaten path = more distance to attractions/ public transit, restaurants.

If you like Rosedale, you could always book it again. However, if you want a change, I would suggest you look at -

Times Square Suites which is at Robson and Denman,

Rosellen Suites at Barclay and Chilco, with Stanley Park as your back yard.

Robson Suites at Robson and Bidwell.

All three are self catering and are in a sufficiently different part of town from Rosedale that you would have a different experience.

Use Google Maps to pinpoint them in the city.

You're looking at Sept 18, which is entering the slow down season here, so I would suggest you book by a month ahead.

You'll very likely get a variety of opinions on this question.

Pokeno
Level Contributor
49 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation choice & location at end of land & sea trip.

Thank you very much for your detailed reply. I wasn't expecting a reply so soon at your time of night. It's only 4.41pm here in New Zealand. I did wonder about leaving booking until I get there but don't want to tie up too much time hunting around.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
487 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation choice & location at end of land & sea trip.

That trip sounds so great! I would suggest booking at Robson Suites, www.robsonsuitesvancouver.com they are in an AMAZING area, close to everything with great staff and wonderful suites. Also #1 in specialty accommodations on Trip Advisor! So you cannot go wrong. The area is ideal for walking around. Also they have a shuttle bus that will drop you where you need to go, which is SO nice.

I would suggest booking in advance, as September has a tendency to be unpredictable! Somtimes it is very slow in the city and sometimes very busy. It is also still considered 'PEAK" travel time, and there are often many conferences and concerts going on in the middle of September, meaning downtown fills up quickly.

Enjoy your time in Vancouver! And may I suggest a Vancouver Food Tour while you're here? www.vancouverfoodtour.com these tours are SO much fun and you really get to enjoy what vancouver has to offer in the food department!

Pokeno
Level Contributor
49 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation choice & location at end of land & sea trip.

Thank you very much westender. Time's flying by - 1 month to go & I've only just got back on the computer. Working extra days & collect our documents tomorrow. I had hoped for a few more replies but it looks as tho you both recommend Robson Suites. Is this handy to public transport to gardens other than Stanley Park? Thought we'd suss out Granville Market , Gastown ,Yaletown & Chinese garden from Robson. Is the weekend fleamarket worth a visit? I see we've missed their "antique" days. Thanks everyone for your help.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
487 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation choice & location at end of land & sea trip.

Robson Suites is right downtown, and the number 5 runs right along robson st. which will take you to connect with either the sky train or other busses. Visit www.translink.com for details from Robson Suites to other gardens that you may be interested in visiting. I think you will find that the location is perfect and fairly easy to get everywhere you need to go.

Make use of the free shuttle their as well!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,108 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation choice & location at end of land & sea trip.

omahu, check your thread about public transit to gardens.

Pokeno
Level Contributor
49 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation choice & location at end of land & sea trip.

Thanks everyone. Just downloading cruise documents & collected travel arrangements from our travel agents. Our computer has picked this time to play up so I'll have to ring our server after luch. At least messages are coming through and SOME get out!!!!

8. Re: Accommodation choice & location at end of land & sea trip.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2011, 05:18