We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Highway 1 Improvement Project to 2013

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,750 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Highway 1 Improvement Project to 2013

The Port Mann/Highway 1 (PMH1) Improvement Project includes construction of a new Port Mann Bridge, widening the highway, upgrading interchanges and improving access and safety on Highway 1. The project spans a distance of approximately 37 kilometres from Vancouver to Langley. The new Port Mann Bridge is expected to be complete by 2012 and the whole project by 2013.

Expect slower speeds and congestion on this major travel artery into and out of Vancouver. To see how this project may affect your travels, here is the construction website, with maps, construction updates and technical info:

pmh1project.com/the-project/project-descript…

Post on TA for suggestions for alternatives.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,155 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Highway 1 Improvement Project to 2013

Good idea to post this, Mufti!

There are some "back routes" to Highway 1 from the southern Metro Vancouver area. I'm just not sure, however, how much faster they would be for someone driving from downtown or the eastern Metro Vancouver area.

The "back routes" that I am aware of require that you drive south down Highway 99, through the Massey Tunnel and past the Highway 17 cutoff.

The first route would involve taking Highway 10 off Highway 99. That would mean a drive through Surrey, Cloverdale and Langley to entrance Highway 1 at the eastern edge of Langley. However, despite recent upgrades, Highway 10 can be quite slow at times because of the amount of traffic and the number of traffic lights.

The other route would involve more driving, but is more pleasant and actually moves quite quickly. You take the 8th Avenue cutoff from Highway 99 (Exit 2A, I think) and drive east to Highway 15 (176th Avenue). Turn left, drive up to 16th Avenue and turn right. 16th Avenue will take you to Highway 13 (turn left from 16th Avenue), which provides access to Highway 1 past the construction area (I believe). For those who wish to go further along country back roads, you can turn right at Highway 13, pick up 8th Avenue again and drive further on to Highway 11, which accesses Highway 1 even further east.

The Lougheed Highway, which becomes Highway 7 further out (I believe), runs along the north shore of the Fraser River as far out as Hope. It is a lovely drive once you get past Maple Ridge. It is very busy up to that point and may become even busier as drivers try alternatives to Highway 1.

For people heading from the southern part of Metro Vancouver to Maple Ridge, Mission and points east on the north shore of the Fraser, there is the Golden Ears toll bridge. If you follow my directions for getting onto Highway 15 from Highway 99, you head further north to the cutoff onto the Golden Ears Parkway. However, the sign (I think is says "Golden Ears Bridge" and is hung below another sign) for the turn is not well-marked and you have to keep your eyes open.

Hope this helps.

Edited: 23 July 2010, 19:58
2. Re: Highway 1 Improvement Project to 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2011, 07:24