We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferries from Vancouver to Victoria

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
283 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Ferries from Vancouver to Victoria

If we are driving to a vancouver ferry termial from Whistler which one is the the best option to get to Victoria? The most direct from Whistler?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
61,578 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferries from Vancouver to Victoria

You have two options. You can drive to Horseshoe Bay, about 1.5 hours from Whistler, cross on the Horseshoe Bay - Departure Bay ferry which will put you into Nanaimo. From there you would have a pleasant 2 hour drive down Hwy 19 to Victoria. You could stop on the way to see some attractions.

The second option is to drive about 1.5 hours through downtown Vancouver and out the south end of the city to Tsawwassen and take that southern route ferry to Swartz Bay and then 40 minutes south to Victoria.

My choice? to Nanaimo and then down. I like to do the required 2 hour stretch of driving on a pleasant, almost rural, less busy road, out of the city.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
352 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferries from Vancouver to Victoria

I agree with Mufti: trading the bridge and downtown traffic of Vancouver for a pleasant drive from Nanaimo to Victoria is almost a no-brainer.

Sechelt, BC
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
3,133 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferries from Vancouver to Victoria

Well - a different opinon here and it is based on time. Even though our ferry from Langdale arrives at the Horseshoe Bay terminal I never turn around and catch the ferry to the island from there when travelling to Victoria. I always drive thru the city and get a ferry at the Tsawwassen terminal.

The ferries at Tsawwassen depart every hour on the hour as compared to approximately every two hours at Horseshoe Bay. If I miss a ferry at Twawwassen I know chances are excellent I will be on the next one. I never reserve on the Tsawwassen routes either unless it is a long weekend.

First time over to the island from Horseshoe Bay I sat at the ferry terminal for 4 hours. There was a 2 sailing wait and we couldn’t reserve as all spaces were already gone. Add this wait time to an hour and half sailing time plus the drive to Victoria and I spent over 8 hours getting to Victoria from Horseshoe Bay.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
61,578 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferries from Vancouver to Victoria

bc ~ This definitely must have been a nightmare. But it absolutely doesn't have to be like this.

mom ~ if you'll give us a date, we could make sure you could get the ferry of your choice. If you've decided on the ferry terminal (HB or Tsawwassen), let us know that as well. Please say it's not Sept 3 or 6.

Sechelt, BC
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
3,133 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferries from Vancouver to Victoria

Yes mufti - nightmare is putting it mildly. I can drive up to Cariboo in 8 hours - we were all ticked when we finally arrived in Victoria.

Also considering only one ferry can be loaded/unloaded at Horseshoe Bay at a time so even a small delay in any route can cause long waits by mid-afternoon.

We have hosted visitors on 3 occasions this summer that waited up to 2 hours to set sail to Langdale - without missing ferries and with reservations. If our runs were late Nanaimo’s were late too. BC Ferries tried to appease everyone with free reservations on the 3 least travelled ferries of the day. It didn’t work - the 3:00 ferry was still not getting here until close to 5:00.

My point is - no time or desire to wait around at Horseshoe Bay - Tsawwassen is my choice.

6. Re: Ferries from Vancouver to Victoria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2011, 07:20