We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nanaimo duke point to courtenay

vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
277 reviews
Save Topic
nanaimo duke point to courtenay

i don't want to drive so i will be a walk on passenger on the ferry to duke point but i need to get to courtenay. does anyone know the quickest and most affordable way to get to downtown courtenay from duke point nanaimo ferry?

thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
64,258 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: nanaimo duke point to courtenay

Island Link is a service that picks up at the Departure Bay ferry terminal and goes up Island.

http://www.islandlinkbus.com/

You may have to take a taxi from Duke Point to Departure Bay which is 17 km and 21 minutes away.

http://tinyurl.com/36v977r

Edited: 13 August 2010, 21:21
Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,910 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: nanaimo duke point to courtenay

Why wouldn't you just use the ferry from Horseshoe Bay to Nanaimo?

Mentioned in this post
Nanaimo
Nanaimo
Vancouver Island, Canada
vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: nanaimo duke point to courtenay

i live in tsawwassen so would duke point be closer to courtenay ?

many thanks

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,910 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: nanaimo duke point to courtenay

No, Courtenay is up island from both Nanaimo and Duke point. It's just that it might be easier to take transit across Vancouver to Horseshoe Bay and then pick up the Island Link bus..otherwise you face a cab ride from Duke Point into Nanaimo. It should also be much cheaper to take transit to Horseshoe Bay.

check translink for service..

http://tripplanning.translink.ca/hiwire

a bus from Tswassen ferry terminal to the Horseshoe Bay terminal will take 2 hours and cost 2.50...your ferry crossing time is a bit shorter from Horseshoe Bay. Your time may be less as it depends on where you are in Tswassen to get the bus. This route will take a bit more time overall but I'm sure the cab ride from Duke Point into Nanaimo will be more than 2.50 !!!

Mentioned in this post
Nanaimo
Nanaimo
Vancouver Island, Canada
vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: nanaimo duke point to courtenay

portmoody....thanks ever so much for your helpful info...i may just have to drive from tsawwassen to horshoebay and then hop on by foot then connect to bus on the island. i just can't afford to pay the $120 return on ferry.

many thanks once again.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
9,244 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: nanaimo duke point to courtenay

I phoned earlier in the year about this-a cab from Duke Point into Nanaimo is about $25 IIRC.

However transit from Tsawwassen to Horseshoe Bay is 3 zones (depending on the time of day/week) so could be as much as $5.00 one way.

Two hours Tsawwassen to Horseshoe Bay is about right.

Mentioned in this post
Nanaimo
Nanaimo
Vancouver Island, Canada
Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,910 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: nanaimo duke point to courtenay

Sam I also thought transit would be more than 2.50 but that's what the translink planner quoted me I timed it for 9 am on a monday..

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
64,258 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: nanaimo duke point to courtenay

Getting to Horseshoe Bay would be much better for the connection to the Island Link service.

You could catch the #620 bus which goes to Bridgeport Station, then Canada Line to Vancouver City Station, the #257 Horseshoe Bay Express from Georgia and Seymour. The cost on a weekday is $5.00 If you're travelling weekends or Mon. Sept 6th it will cost $2.50

If you drive to Horseshoe Bay, you can park long term in the parkade. You come down the hill in the lane for "Village" and "pick up". Near the bottom of the hill, you arrive at a traffic light to turn a forced left, stay in the left lane and turn left into the tunnel for the parking garage. It costs $16 for a 24 hour period.

So $25 for a taxi from Duke Point to Departure Bay

up to$5.00 for Canada Line and the bus

$16 per 24 hour parking at Horseshoe Bay

bcferries.com/fares/Parking_Rates.html#hsb

Mentioned in this post
Canada Line
Canada Line
82 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: nanaimo duke point to courtenay

muftimix....thanks so much for the detailed plan...i will try and follow that plan...many thanks to everyone who has been so helpful.

with appreciation.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
9,244 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: nanaimo duke point to courtenay

Forgot about his option-might be of use to some

"The Nanaimo Shuttle (tel. 250-758-2133) also drops off/picks up at Duke Point, costing $23 for the first person, plus $5 per additional passenger, to/from the same address in downtown Nanaimo. This service must be booked in advance by phone."

Mentioned in this post
Nanaimo
Nanaimo
Vancouver Island, Canada