We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Suggestions - Hastings/Renfrew Area

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Comox BC
Level Contributor
987 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant Suggestions - Hastings/Renfrew Area

I'm having brain cramps & need your help. We are going to YVR in early Sep and want to take friends to dinner. I'm looking for some recommendations, due the D + D laws, preferably in the Hastings/Commercial/Renfrew area.

There used to be a place called (I think) La Violetta on Hastings just above Cassiar - is it still there? I understand Nick's is getting pretty pricey for the 'class' of restaurant & The Cannery is no longer there so I am kinda lost. Haven't been on Commercial Drive for year so there may be some great ones there I don't know about.

If you know this general area and can make some reco's it will be much appreciated. I lived all my life in YVR until the last 5 years. I'm amazed how quickly I have fallen out of touch with the restaurant scene there since moving here.

Many thanks,

WCG

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,169 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant Suggestions - Hastings/Renfrew Area

Might be some info of use to you here

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/719841?tag=main_body;topic-719841

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Suggestions - Hastings/Renfrew Area

If you go a few blocks east, into the Vancouver Heights area of Burnaby, there are several good restaurants. Anton's is cheap with huge portions of pasta. The Pear Tree is high-end, excellent but fairly pricey. Sfinakis is good for Greek. La Villetta is still there. We ate at L'Artista a few years back and as I recall it was good.

I will leave it to a nother poster to recommend places on the Drive. There are many options but my favourite is Tony's Deli for great paninis!

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,152 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant Suggestions - Hastings/Renfrew Area

Second The Pear Tree and L'Artista..skip Anton's..huge portions mediocre food. Havana Cafe on Commercial is reasonable..a bit loud but fun and some pretty good food.

Comox BC
Level Contributor
987 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant Suggestions - Hastings/Renfrew Area

Thanks all. Great info. Not looking for 'cheap eats' places although I can understand the suggests with my mention of Nick's may have led astray.

Pear Tree looks good! What about this Artista place? What is it actually called and where is it?

Love Thai & such but not for this particular dinner but TY for the suggests along that line, particularly the Chowhound Thread.

Any others?

TY WCG

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,625 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant Suggestions - Hastings/Renfrew Area

http://www.lartistarestaurant.com/

I was going to say that I've been to Tio Pepe's on Commercial, but in all honesty I'm not sure Commercial is that great for a "nice" dinner. No offence to Commercial Dr eateries, I just think they are more cozy than up-ish scale.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,169 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant Suggestions - Hastings/Renfrew Area

If it's something cozy and unique on Commercial Drive you're looking for.....

http://carthage-cafe.com/

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,152 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant Suggestions - Hastings/Renfrew Area

L'artista is in the 3800 block of Hastings in Burnaby..recent reviews are so so. It's Italian, family style but a step up from red checked table cloth places. It's veery near to La Villeta.

If you want great food then go to the Pear Tree.

Comox BC
Level Contributor
987 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant Suggestions - Hastings/Renfrew Area

SalmonSam - Carthage Cafe looks like a definite contender! Food looks & sounds Yum as does the menu at the Pear Tree recommended by traveller. (Pear Tree is - to me - kind of an odd name . . . kind of reminds me of Appleby's. LOL!)

Think I'm passing on L'Artista - as mentioned the reviews of late aren't that great and my friends are Italian. I'll check out Tio Pepe Mufti & thanks for the info.

In fact, thanks to you all for helping me out here. Any other reco's greatly received.

WCG

Vancouver
Level Contributor
485 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant Suggestions - Hastings/Renfrew Area

I do not know that specific area well, but visit www.yelp.ca for great reviews and try www.vancouverfoodster.com for tips

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
335 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant Suggestions - Hastings/Renfrew Area

Hey Holly,

Baci on Boundary and Hastings may be an option but I haven't been there in quite a while.

On Commercial, you have Arriva and La Rocca for Italian, Lime for Japanese ( www.limerestaurant.ca/Rawbar/index.html )

or Chongqing for Szechuan but these are all quite a step down in terms of fine dining from the Pear Tree.

There's also Federico's Supper club (Romy Prasad is the chef - ex Cin Cin) : www.federicossupperclub.com/section.asp…

The only other fine dining in the area that I can think of is Poor Italian but it has been getting extremely mixed reviews.

If you go a little further into Fraser and Kingsway, there is nice little French bistro called Les Faux Bourgeois:

http://www.lesfauxbourgeois.com/

but with Main street just a stone's throw away, you also have Cafeteria (Same owners of La Buca and Pied-a-terre).

Happy dining,