We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best location to stay with a 4 year old ?

Maryland
Level Contributor
247 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Best location to stay with a 4 year old ?

We are going to use are frequent flyer miles to come to Vancouver. Next year our son will be 4. We actually have to book airline soon and would like to book rental house soon. Is it better to be in the city, on the coast, or on the island? We will have a rental car and plan to stay about 10 days. 7 days at a home rental and 3 or so days in another location. We could stay in a hotel/motel, but prefer 2 bedrooms so we don't have to sleep in the same room as someone who goes to bed at 8:00 pm.

We will be doing kid friendly activities and plan on visiting in the summer of 2011. The reason I chose Vancouver is it is about as far away from home we can get on our frequent flyer miles.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,656 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best location to stay with a 4 year old ?

Aha, it's the lure of far off Vancouver!! Who knew we were FF material?? Seriously, you will be glad you did choose us!

The following suites are right downtown which is where you would want to be for visiting Vancouver. For the longer part of your accommodation, and able to provide 2 bdrms, in Vancouver you could look into:

Times Square Suites

Rosedale on Robson

Rosellen Suites

Robson Suites

Where to stay? You perhaps could start with knowing that it takes about 4 hours one way to drive/ferry to either Victoria or Nanaimo on Vancouver Island, 2-3 hours more to get to Tofino. Not sure what you mean by "coast." We kind of think we are the coast, only because the other provinces in the middle of Canada definitely are not the coast. Perhaps you mean Tofino.

Your best friend for calculating distances and driving times is maps.google.com.

You might consider 7 nights in Vancouver and 2 nights in Victoria. But coming all this way, you might really enjoy Tofino. So you could consider 4 nights Vancouver, 2 nights, Victoria and 3 nights Tofino, with the last night back in Vancouver. This would give you big city, small cute city and wilderness.

On Hello BC listed below, have a look at Parksville as it is quite family friendly as well. So you could consider substituting Tofino for the Parksville/Qualicum Beach area perhaps.

Have a look at www.findfamilyfun.com for family friendly activities.

Some other websites that might help you are:

www.hellobc.com

www.bcferries.com

When you post back, give us an idea of what kind of things your family is interested in doing. Outdoors, indoors, hiking with baby strapped on back, biking, etc.? It would really help us make better suggestions.

Maryland
Level Contributor
247 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best location to stay with a 4 year old ?

Wow, just the information you gave helps us figure out the area. The website helps some, but it's not organized by anything useful. I guess there is not the equivalent of the book "Going Places with Children in Washington, DC" for Vancouver, BC?

I think we would like to do a little hiking, but it will have to be short and not too far away from where we are staying (like no 2 hour drives each way). We will probably take a backpack to carry him in for short hikes, (say 45 min - 1 hour). I think seeing things in the city is high on the list. I know my son would probably be happiest just looking at backhoes, but his parents would like to do things we can't do or see at home.

One of the places I am looking at staying is near Kitsilano beach. Is that a nice area that isn't too far (less than 50 minutes) from most city attractions.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,656 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best location to stay with a 4 year old ?

Lots of backhoes and cranes downtown!! :-)

Find Family Fun is pretty useful if you click on "Index of Activities" and then sort by area. Look at the Vancouver and North Vancouver sections. Sorry don't know the book you are talking about.

Here's another site to browse. It has 4 sections in the sidebar just on families and kids:

tourismvancouver.com/visitors/things_to_do/f…

No attraction in Vancouver is more than 30-40 minutes away from anything else. The downtown area is only 1.5 sq km in total. Kitsilano is a very nice neighbourhood.

It sounds like you might need to do a bit of research on Vancouver and the surrounding area. On the following link there is a lot of information to look at in the sidebar on the left.

hellobc.com/en-CA/RegionsCities/Vancouver.htm

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best location to stay with a 4 year old ?

try cascadiakids.com for ideas on things to do.

Maryland
Level Contributor
247 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best location to stay with a 4 year old ?

Thank you for your insight. I will be doing much more research, but since I need to book 330 days ahead (to get frequent flyer deals) and I also want to firm up an area of he city to stay, so far ahead. I will check out all you say. I guess I really didn't know how big the city was. It sounds like a wonderful city where nothing (except he island areas) is far away. I'm going to get my trip booked.

I did find one thing odd, (not sure if this is a Canadian thing), but some rental properties are charging an extra $25/ night for a 3rd person. This seems odd to me, is this standard practice? (that raises the rent from about $800 per week to $975 -- so pretty substantial) So I'm going to try to steer clear of those properties, but I've already found several which do that.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,656 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best location to stay with a 4 year old ?

Usually children under about 11-12 stay free with existing beds. If you add another bed or a room to house that person, little person or big person, and the associated bedding/towels and therefore the housekeeping requirements, they do charge for that.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
487 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best location to stay with a 4 year old ?

I recommend Robson Suites if you want to be near Stanley Park, or Viva Suites if you would like to be closer to Yaletown/Granville Island!

Both are great!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,656 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best location to stay with a 4 year old ?

westenda ~

I was browsing the Robson Suites website recently. Every reservation option I explored said "must be 19 years of age or older." I must be missing something.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
487 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best location to stay with a 4 year old ?

Every hotel in the world basically has a booking age limit. That means for example, four 15 year olds cannot stay in a room by themselves. Must be booked by an adult, and the adult must be staying in the room. That is all. Every hotel has an age limit of usually 18-25 depending on the hotel. Security reasons. Does not mean that people younger cannot stay, unless a hotel states "adults only".

Hope that clarifies the terminology

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best location to stay with a 4 year old ?

We have recenlty come back from a two week holiday in Vancouver, where we stayed at the Rosedale on Robson in one of it's 1 bed suites. I have a 12 year old and 6 year old and I have to admit, it is a fantastic location for exploring the city. If you dn't mind a walk, it's not too far up to Stanley Park by foot and we cycled the sea wall in a few hours (there's a number of bike hire shops). Plenty of public transport and so much near by, you wouldn't need to think of car hire even.