We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

looking for downtown happy hour suggestions

Seattle
13 posts
Save Topic
looking for downtown happy hour suggestions

The husband and I are going to take a trip up to Vancouver midweek and are looking for some happy hour suggestions. Most likely we will eat dinner somewhere after, so really were looking for good drink deals more than food deals. Any ideas? Were open to pretty much any type of bar or restaurant.

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: looking for downtown happy hour suggestions

no happy hour here

Seattle
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: looking for downtown happy hour suggestions

Hmmm...sad. I remember last time we were up we went to Cactus Club and they had some kind of daily drink special...nothing like that now?

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: looking for downtown happy hour suggestions

daily drink specials and happy hour are not the same thing

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,882 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: looking for downtown happy hour suggestions

My understanding is that in BC, you can drink only at a bar, but if you want to drink in a restaurant (where they would most likely have daily drink features/specials) you have to eat with that drink.

But I am only going on memory and not on rigorous memorization of the liquor laws here.

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: looking for downtown happy hour suggestions

on a recent vancouver trip i asked about happy hours on twitter--i was more looking for great food deals like we have here in seattle--and was told by one of the vancouver restaurants in response that happy hour is illegal in bc.

Seattle
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: looking for downtown happy hour suggestions

My mistake in calling it happy hour. Seems like this may be a sore spot for vandan. Maybe too many of us Americans asking for happy hour rec's, but I did search and actually couldn't find any questions on TA about the topic. I apologize for confusing our term "happy hour" with "daily drink specials". If a person from Vancouver asked me about daily drink specials I would assume that they meant something like happy hour and attempt to answer their question and help them out. How about if I ask about daily drink specials, would anyone like to recommend a good spot?

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: looking for downtown happy hour suggestions

not a sore spot at all, just clarifying it, too bad you assujmed otherwise

Seattle
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: looking for downtown happy hour suggestions

Did you end up finding any places you liked or felt like were good deals? I've been to Vancouver many times...mostly I'm trying to avoid going to the same places we always do!!

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: looking for downtown happy hour suggestions

have you been to coast? if you like oysters they have them for $1 a pop i think between 3 and 5 pm. don't know if they have any drink specials though.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,027 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: looking for downtown happy hour suggestions

Hi Mountiangirl11 ! Wish we did have happy hours, not too mention free pour ! Our liquor laws in B.C. are strict on that kind of thing, (also the liquor is more expensive that would deter some businesses)so the best we get are " drink specials" which as you know is a featured drink for that day. You will find these in restaurants such as Moxies, Cactus Club, Earls, Milestones etc. You will also find "drink specials" in pubs that serve food. I have seen some specials in Night Clubs as well but like the restaurants etc it's a special for the whole night. You CAN just have a drink in a restaurant, you don't have to order food. That law changed a few years ago. However it's up to the restaurant, most do so you won't have a problem. On the free pour thing, maybe it's best...I remember one time in......................