We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in October

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lancashire
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Weather in October

Hi,

I am going to be visiting Vancouver in late October (for work sadly so not much time to sightsee)

What is the weather like in late October, I'm guessing you wouldn't be expecting snow by then but is it likely to be cold? I'm used to it raining fairly regularly (I do live in the NW of England and it seems to rain most days here). Just want to know whether to pack warm gear?

Also I'm thinking of travelling down to Seattle to watch the NFL game whilst I'm there (I don't get too many chances to see a game live). It looks pretty easy on the map, is it an OK drive - I'm used to driving in the US. How long would you think this will take on a Sunday? I'm assuming there won't be an issue with taking a hire car from Canada to the US for the day

Many Thanks for your help

Simon

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,359 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in October

The weather in October will probably be wet but it won't be that cold..layers are the best here..a fleece vest or a fleece jacket under a rain jacket should eb all you'd need at that time.no snow in October..probably not even frost until Oct 31 or so..if ti's not raining then sunny in the day time with temps of about 14-16C dropping to 5c or so at night.

You might want to look at one of the bus packages to the NFL game..not a problem with the rental car for one day but the border can be a hassle re: wait times..anything from 15 minutes to 2 hours..and if it's a weekend then there can be a lineup. You will also require a visa to get into the states..search the forum as there's lots of info about it..not sure if you can get it in advance or not..very cheap. Drive time is about 2.5 to 3 hours plus border wait time. Make sure rental company knows you're taking car into US

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,217 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in October

I've done the bus package to Seattle for an NBA game. I support that idea fully. It was so nice not to have to do 3+ hr driving, each way, find our way, find parking, find food (not the arena $$$$$ type food - but that may not bother you too much.) I valued watching the scenery go by, leaving the driving to someone else and not staying overnight to take the strain off the drive back.

The weather/temps may be very close to what could materialize in Lancs on your Guy Fawkes Day.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
485 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in October

They weather will be chilly and rainy. Not too cold but still brisk.

Pack lots of layers, that is the best way to dress all year round in Vancouver. sweaters, and rain jackets are always a must!

The train down to Seattle might be a good way to go?!

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in October

Amtrak is showing a 8:00AM bus that arrives at 12:00PM with a return either at 4:45PM or 9:15PM. Since a game usually lasts 3 hours the 4:45 is a little tight especially if it goes into OT or there's a delay. Better to either get a bus package like Mufti said or just rent a car for the day.

Border wait times will vary but I would budget at least 1 hour plus the process of getting your waiver. I went across today and the wait was around 45 minutes at 11AM. Coming back was about 10 minutes around 4:30PM.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,050 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in October

You're from Lancs? You'll feel right at home. Might even be a touch milder here. Dress like you would at home for that time of year.

Be aware that you'll have additional border crossing requirements on a British Passport which will slow you down. Might be worth doing the crossing the night before, just to get it out of the way, and just staying at a cheap hotel on the other side of the border, then doing the rest of the trip in the morning, which will take about 3 hrs once you get into the US. Returning into Canada should be straight forward.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in October

expect pouring rain...if you are lucky, on a Biblical scale...it always rains here

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in October

as far as the Hawks are concerned, get to the Border early...I used to have Hawks tickets for 5 years. After 9/11 lines got so bad, dropped the tickets. As others have said take the train....

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,217 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather in October

Well Simon, what has the weather actually been like? I got curious and explored wundergound.com.

For the whole of August, 24/7, we had a total of 3 hours light rain.

For September up to yesterday, we have had two 24-hour days of light rain. Otherwise, we have had a total of 21 hours and 30 minutes of offocial light rain (for the remaining 20 days), remarkably before 6 am and after 6 pm. Now I do remember a couple of short downpours in amongst all that. Wunderground is a weather website out of the U of Michigan.

Yesterday and today, we were wearing cut off jeans and short sleeved shirts. I think it will rain during your time here in October, but it will be manageable. We have a number of Noahs in Vancouver, but none skippering an ark.

Edited: 23 September 2010, 03:13
Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather in October

Instead of using weather underground, check Environment Canada which is the official source for weather for Vancouver. There was no way we had just 3 hours of rain in August, it was very dry until the very last day when it rained all day. We received 55.8mm that day. So far for September we've got 120mm, which might break the record for the month. Last 2 days were sunny, today was mostly showers.

…weatheroffice.gc.ca/climateData/…

10. Re: Weather in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2011, 04:16