We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rain

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Rain

I am seeing questions from time to time re: weather in Vancouver and rain. Well, hate to break it to all of you but guess what? Yes, it's raining again. Nothing like a monsoon to start off the week. Unfortunately, we live in a rain forest, with rain pretty much in the forcast from September to June. So bascially we have maybe two months that are dry.

So if you are coming in any of the other months, expect rain and lots of it.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rain

Having been in a monsoon rainfall, Vancouver is not that heavy in the single rainfall occurrence. It is the weeks of cloud cover and on and off again rain that goes on all fall and winter that gets people. I just roll with it and have an umbrella and jacket on hand just in case.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,425 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rain

Sans the umbrella!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rain

It's the low cloud cover and short days that some people have trouble with. We get more drizzle that hard rain. The advice I give to tourists is just to get out there and do whatever you want to do and don't expect the shower to stop after ten minutes, it could be a week!

Sechelt, BC
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
3,280 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rain

I don’t care to shovel anything around here but BS. Suits me just fine.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
578 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rain

The rain is "soft" as the Irish say. You can tell most locals because we refuse to put up an umbrella unless it is a heavier shower. It also depends on where you are in the lower mainland. The closer you are to the mountains, the more rain you will get.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
64,395 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rain

I love rain topics here on the forum. Some data to give a reality check about that horrible pounding rain.

So far this month (to Sept 24), we have had

10 (24-hour) days with 0 rain,

1 with a trace,

7 with between 0 and 5 mm (0.2 inch) of rain,

3 with between 6 and 15 mm (0.5 inch) and

3 with either 30, 21 or 34 mm (all <1.3 inches).

So that's 10 days of 24 without rain and 10 more with less than 15 mm (0.5 inch). 15 mm is like stacking 15 dimes up. I'm pretty sure that doesn't qualify as "lots" of rain unless it fell on you within 10 minutes.

Today I had my umbrella up for sprinkling rain for about 30 minutes, the rest of the day it was in the backpack. Cloudy skies are always threatening to rain, but it's a trick to make you think it's raining or going to rain. Rain is perceived in different ways, what is light rain for some might be thought of as hard rain for others. Data is lovely, it's not subjective. But that's not to say we haven't had 40 days of non stop rain around here because we have.

If it happens to be raining hard, go have a coffee. By the time you're finished the situation will have changed. And if you want real rain, drop in to Prince Rupert.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rain

I have been in monsoon rain as well whilst travelling in Asia and we get tail ends of monsoons here as well. Unlike most Vancouverites, I need to wear a suit everyday and do not have the luxury of wearing gortex, nor underground parking. Oh wait, let me look outside...rain again.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rain

Hmm... I'm pretty sure those folks on Northern Vancouver Island will say we've had a quite a bit of rain these past few days. While most times when it rains it's not too bad even we get those rainfall warnings from Environment Canada from time to time. This morning to work, cloudy and dry. Right now it's raining pretty good.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
10,246 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rain

I can guarantee you that it isn't raining in Vancouver as hard as it is in Brisbane today.

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
8,746 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rain

I've been here for 2 weeks so far and got sprinkled on gently three times. Each time I had a gortex jacket AND an umbrella so I survived, just about.

Seriously, come on, it's not that bad here... there have been some grey skies, but some blue ones too, it's been nowhere near as bad as it could have been, and after all, it is a rainforest climate. A few showers are expected, and after all, you Vancouverites wear your wellies and brollies so well. :-)

It's about the same rainfall as the UK at this time of the year. I'm looking forward to a few more days of this warm muggy rain here before I head back to the cold rain of London.

Cheers!