We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver mountains summer with 17 yr old

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
286 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Vancouver mountains summer with 17 yr old

Next year we are thinking about Vancouver and BC for our summer holiday. It will be for 2/3 weeks. We would like to see vancouver and maybe one or max 2 other bases. It will be my husbands 50th. We are taking our youngest son 17. I asked him what he would like to do and he said climbing. My husband enjoys sailing. We would be looking at mid range self catering places. Any inspiration

Many thanks

Vancouver
Level Contributor
489 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vancouver mountains summer with 17 yr old

What a great plan for summer vacation! You will have a blast with that much time available!

For rock climbing, I don't know if your son is an avid climber or looking for lessons?

Squamish (just a couple hours outside of Vancouver on the way to Whistler) has a great program: www.themountainschool.com

Here is another great resource: climbfind.com/climbing-around/…vancouver

In Vancouver, you can do many day trips such as over to Victoria (prince of Whales has a great package available that combines whale watching, the trip to Victoria and butchart gardens www.princeofwhales.com

You could even take a trip to Seattle via the train www.amtrak.com

Sechelt would also be a great smaller trip, as its just up the Sunshine Coast. Really lovely there!

sailing resource: www.vancouversailingclub.com/

I would highly recommend doing a few days/nights over on Vancouver Island in Tofino! Great surfing, gorgeous scenery, bear watching and more! Great food their as well! Lovely cabins there right on the ocean and the most amazing beaches!

While staying in Vancouver, try staying at a furnished apartment like Robson Suites, Times Square Suites, Viva Suites, the Landis Hotel & Suites etc. cheaper than staying in a hotel, especially for your long stay.

Mentioned in this post
Squamish
Squamish
British Columbia, Canada
Whistler
Whistler
British Columbia, Canada
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Sunshine Coast
Sunshine Coast
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver Island
Vancouver Island
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
9,236 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Vancouver mountains summer with 17 yr old

Jericho Sailing Centre for on-the-water options of all kinds locally-too many to post for Vancouver Island & environs.

http://www.jsca.bc.ca/

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver Island
Vancouver Island
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vancouver mountains summer with 17 yr old

I love Whistler in the summer

I would suggest you rent a car in vancouver

DRive up and rent a condo for a few days in whistler ..

I . you can easily get three day rentals in the summer. tryhttp://www.whistlerbyowner.com

If you need location advice to put you right in the village post more questions when you decide whetheer this is what you want

remeber to rent mountain bikes and take the easy tour around the golf course or the more heavy duty up mountain climb.

The zip track is also fabulous for 17 year old

http://www.ziptrek.com/whistler-canada

I . you can easily get three day rentals in the summer.

Mentioned in this post
Whistler
Whistler
British Columbia, Canada
Derby, United...
Level Contributor
286 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vancouver mountains summer with 17 yr old

Thanks for all your great advice. Lots of good ideas. My son regularly climbs both indoor and outdoor

5. Re: Vancouver mountains summer with 17 yr old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2011, 05:17