We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic from North Vancouver

Eagan, Minnesota
13 posts
Save Topic
Traffic from North Vancouver

My wife and I will be staying in North Vancouver for four nights beginning Wednesday, October 20th. I have been told that traffic over the Lions Gate Bridge over rush hour (3:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.) is horrific. Is this true even for traffic going into the City at this time?

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,456 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traffic from North Vancouver

Yes..especially bad going into city at this time of day ( 3-6) as Lion's Gate is a 3 lane bridge.. 2 lanes from North Shore into town in morning two lanes from downtown out to north shore in afternoon.. meaning you have only ONE lane to get into town.. backups of 45 minutes not uncommon. You might want to look at taking the seabus across from Lonsdale Quay to downtown..Vancouver has excellent transit and is also very walkable.

This summer we met friends in Lynn Valley...took them 1 hour to get across the Lion's gate from Georgia and Granville...at noon on a Monday....

Edited: 18 October 2010, 23:03
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
62,286 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traffic from North Vancouver

If you are staying at one of the motels at Marine Drive and Capilano Road, you can take the westbound #240 bus right on Marine Drive. It will take you over town right along Georgia St. to as far as Hamilton St. or so. Perfect for getting into the city. The bus would take you 15-20 minutes. Returning to North Van, you could catch the westbound #240 at a bus stop on Georgia and return within 15-20 minutes to your motel.

To get to Lonsdale Quay for the Seabus, you would take the eastbound #239 Phibbs Exchange bus. And returning it is called the #239 Park Royal. The 239/Seabus would take longer to get to town, but would get you a "harbour cruise."

If you are staying at the Holiday Inn, you could take the #255 to Phibbs exchange and then transfer to the #210 right into downtown Vancouver.

Both are 2 zone fares @ 3.75 before 6:30 pm on weekdays, $2.50 after 6:30 and weekends. You could buy a book of 2 zone Faresavers (10 tix). You really do not need a car in Vancouver.

Rockies BC
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traffic from North Vancouver

I realize I am late adding to this thread (just came back from 2 wonderful weeks in Maui - TR to follow!) but I would agree with traveller47 - Lions Gate ("First Narrows" to us "old" Vancouverites) is always horrendous during rush hours & can be horrendous any time of day. Growing up on the North Shore, I learned that if you have a definite appointment (like a plane to catch, or tickets to the opera) you DO NOT take Lions Gate Bridge, regardless of the time of day; you always take 2nd Narrows. (I have known many people who have been late for/missed university final exams because an accident on LGB had the traffic in gridlock). If however you can afford to sit in traffic, you might get lucky & find a "break" in the traffic & be downtown quite a bit more quickly. So it might not bother you to sit in traffic for a bit going into town, because if you are returning to the North Shore later in the evening you will be back within minutes (traffic usually thins out quite a bit in the evening, unless there is a football/hockey game - forgive me, are the Lions out of the running for the Grey Cup?!?).

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
62,286 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traffic from North Vancouver

Hi East, well you got half of it!! lol

These folks were in town Oct 20 - 24th, so they are out of the running.

The Lions on the other hand have some important games to play soon and they are still very much in the running.

You seem quite pumped about your 2 weeks in Maui, sounds like you had a great time. Will look out for your TR.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
2,048 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traffic from North Vancouver

The Lions only have one more game to play, they have to win and hope Edmonton loses. If not then the season is done.

Rockies BC
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traffic from North Vancouver

Thanks for the info re the Lions (the only time I ever watch football is Grey Cup Sunday!) and yes Mufti, we had a fabulous time in gorgeous Maui. Believe it or not, I find more than a few similarities between Maui & Beautiful BC!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
62,286 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traffic from North Vancouver

Hey now Techboy :-) None of that one more game to play business. Of course they will win! And Edmonton who? Of course they will have some more important games to play. Go Lions!

Yours ever hopeful in football.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,161 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traffic from North Vancouver

This has absolutely nothing to do with anything that anyone has discussed so far; however, I suppose it's OK since OP has come and gone.

EastBC, we were in your part of the world recently. It was a beautiful Sunday afternoon, with that golden light you see in early October. We had lunch in Fernie and coffee in Cranbrook before stopping in Creston for the night. What a beautiful part of BC you live in (although how you made it from the Eastern Kootenays to North Vancouver in a single day, I'll never understand)!

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
2,048 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traffic from North Vancouver

Since the thread has gone off topic, I saw Angus Reid and his girlfriend/wife today at work. No Mufti I didn't talk to him though I kinda wanted too.

Itchy lots of people do the drive in single day. I know of people who drive direct from Vancouver to Calgary. Personally I couldn't do it, but some people just like driving I guess.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
62,286 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traffic from North Vancouver

Gooooooooo Lions!

:-)))

Edited: 08 November 2010, 02:54