We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Whistler -- an absolute must.

winnipeg
Level Contributor
255 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Whistler -- an absolute must.

Hi! Is Whistler an absolute must? I would rather just stay local: grouse mountain, art galleries, Stanley Park, downtown but my cousin says I'll really be missing out if I don't go to Whistler. I've been there (about 10 years ago) and don't want care for a whole day trip!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,693 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Whistler -- an absolute must.

If you're visiting in November, I would caution that most of the things that are must do's like golfing, skiing mountain biking, alpine hiking will be closed or on hiatus depending on what you dates are. The lifts and Peak to Peak will not be operational until ski season starts. Even the night life gets tepid. The weather can be rainy and dreary.

The exception might be the Cornucopia Wine and Food Festival ( I would overnight to take this in,though) and the first days of skiing.

http://www.whistlercornucopia.com/

Sounds like you've made up you mind, anyway.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
489 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Whistler -- an absolute must.

It is a must depending on your interests! It sounds like you don't really care about going, so I would say skip it and focus on Vancouver, or just do a day tour with on of the many tour companies just to see the amazing scenery without the hassle of a car etc.!

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,072 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Whistler -- an absolute must.

Definitely NOT a must imho..Vancouver has tons of things to see and do. (Some of us think Whistler is overhyped and overpriced) It's got it's admirers but you won't be missing a lot especially if it's not ski season.

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Whistler -- an absolute must.

another vote for giving it a miss, not a huge fan myself either

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,165 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Whistler -- an absolute must.

while a beautiful setting in summer, in November you may wish to pass. Cute setting with lots of shops but you can do that anywhere.

Canmore, Alberta
Destination Expert
for Canmore
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Whistler -- an absolute must.

Just went to Whistler for the first time at the end of September. As much as we enjoyed it, I couldn't see making a special trip for a day in November either. It would mainly just be shopping and going to restaurants as far as your activities went.

Best to just enjoy your time in Vancouver:)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Whistler -- an absolute must.

We did go one November, albeit some years ago. We found it to be in transition between summer and winter activities. It was a gray day, as November days often are out here, and businesses were obviously making use of the inbetween time to do renovations, restock merchandise, etc., etc.

For us, the drive up is part of the attraction to going to Whistler for the day, but that is best experienced on a nice sunny day when you can see something of coastal BC on the way there and back.

There's lots to do around Vancouver. Since you are obviously hesitant about making the trek up (and it would be a full day, particularly because the days are so much shorter at this time year), I would suggest giving it a miss on this occasion. Come back sometime during the summer and make a day trip. There are things to see along the way, you can have lunch outside at Whistler and generally enjoy the beautiful surroundings.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,615 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to Whistler -- an absolute must.

Whistler 10 years ago is not much different than today.... 15 years ago? 20 years ago yes. but 10 years ago it would be similar to what you remember.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,995 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip to Whistler -- an absolute must.

You've been before, so you know what you are in for. If it doesn't grab you, then there are plenty of other things to focus on. Definitely don't make a vacation all about meeting other people's objectives.

Seattle, Washington
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip to Whistler -- an absolute must.

Stay in Vancouver, get public transport, and get royally merry on Granville Island!! That's my recommendation :0)