We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best place to buy foreign currency

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
143 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
best place to buy foreign currency

Where is the best place in Vancouver to buy Euros or GB Pounds ?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best place to buy foreign currency

I have used http://www.vbce.ca/ Vancouver Bullion has been around for many years and a lot of other TA advisors have mentioned it as well.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best place to buy foreign currency

We bought Euros and GB Pounds at VBCE for our trip earlier this year and were quite pleased with the rate - much better than our bank was offering. The website in Rustproof's post has maps under "Contact Us" of their three locations.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,707 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best place to buy foreign currency

It's listed amongst the "Top Questions" on this page too.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: best place to buy foreign currency

I always go to Charlies Currency Exchange at the corner of Robson and Granville. http://www.charliescurrency.ca/

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,260 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best place to buy foreign currency

I am going to be one out and suggest that you use a debit card from ATM's once in GB and Europe.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best place to buy foreign currency

It also depends on when the person is going. Right now both the Euro and Pounds are low compared to their normal trading range. I'm planning on going again to London in 2012 for the Olympics, so buying some Pounds now wouldn't be a bad idea. It's around $1.65 vs the normal rate of $2.00 per pound so it is quite a bit of savings. Of course it could be lower by 2012 but that's a chance one takes.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: best place to buy foreign currency

I agree with using ATM when you're there but I always like at least $100 on me when I land.

I bought some Euros earlier in the summer when the rate was around 1.29. I remember Sept 2009, I had to pay 1.57!

Vancouver, Canada
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: best place to buy foreign currency

Agreed, Charlie's Currency Exchange seems to have the best rates. The major banks can't compete with them. I picked up some EURO currency in July and it was by far the best rate.

Vancouver, Canada
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: best place to buy foreign currency

Also wanted to add... if you are planning to use your bank card abroad check with your bank regarding fees. It's usually $5 per withdrawal. And you must ensure you have a 4-digit PIN otherwise you won't be able to use your card in most of the EU!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: best place to buy foreign currency

Re: ATM card fees

Ask your bank if they have an account that won't charge you for the fees. The account usually needs a higher minimum amount I think.