We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver suite for under $50/night for 11 days

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
4 posts
Save Topic
Vancouver suite for under $50/night for 11 days

We are planning a trip to Vancouver from 25th December to Jan 4th and looking for a furnished suite with kitchen etc. for under $50/night. Can be anywhere in Metro Vancouver but not further than Burnaby or New Westminster. Any ideas? Thanks.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Vancouver suite for under $50/night for 11 days

"a furnished suite with kitchen etc. for under $50/night."

Good Luck with that!

You might swing a decent deal on Expedia or Hotwire but they don't give suites away-which is what you're asking.

You could try contacting one of the places as linked and asking for a break but Vancouver innkeepers are a rather unsympathetic bunch-this is an expensive place to do business and holiday season rates are rarely discounted

http://www.kitsilano.ca/stay/

Edited: 13 November 2010, 23:12
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,661 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vancouver suite for under $50/night for 11 days

also you may wish to check

craigslist.org

for temporary housing

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,523 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vancouver suite for under $50/night for 11 days

I think this is a VERY big wish to fill.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
118 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vancouver suite for under $50/night for 11 days

I can' t imagine you'll find a suite (or even a hotel room) at that price anywhere in the city. If this budget is strict, I'd consider looking into hostels - it wouldn't be a suite, but you'd have access to a communal kitchen.

Or you could always take a look at AirBnB for private accommodation. I used them when I traveled to New York and got a studio apartment for $90/night in the East Village. So you never know! www.airbnb.com.

Toronto, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Vancouver suite for under $50/night for 11 days

@ HermioneLee. Thanks, it seems AirBnB would be able to meet what I want.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
118 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vancouver suite for under $50/night for 11 days

That's great! You're welcome.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,838 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vancouver suite for under $50/night for 11 days

I went to the website and took a look at some full condo rentals in my neighbourhood of Yaletown. These buildings are under individual strata laws and if they are like most stratas they don't allow owners to rent out anything except to legit tennants.. For example my building states ( caps mine)

"A resident must not use, or permit to be used, the strata lot except as a PRIVATE DWELLING HOME and, unless granted prior written approval by the council, a resident must not allow more than two persons to occupy a strata lot originally designated by the owner developer as a studio or one bedroom unit...."

In other words you can't turn my building into a hotel. So if you rent from someone who is breaking strata laws there could be some issues during your stay.

I do know that one resident in our building was fined and we had the practice stopped.

For moral reasons I would only use this service IF it was a private home or I had contacted the Strata directly asscociated with the building and found out if it was legal.

Edited: 14 November 2010, 21:44
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,523 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vancouver suite for under $50/night for 11 days

Rustproof has made a very good point. Aside from the Provincial Strata Act which determines province wide strata corporation laws, Strata owners prepare and vote for the building bylaws they want. Many vote for exactly this - not to allow rentals. Or they may allow 10% rentals or whatever. Some buildings allow immediate family relatives to rent from an owner without having to go to Strata Council. If the owner is renting a room while living there at the same time, this is perfectly legitimate. I agree that checking with the Strata Council would save you some potential grief.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,919 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vancouver suite for under $50/night for 11 days

Even in private homes, there is a good chance that the "AirBnB" concept is not completely legal. Homeowners or tenants are, of course, able to extend hospitality to visiting friends and family, but as soon as someone accepts money for a stay, it becomes a business. Many jurisdictions require business licensing, building, fire prevention and health inspections, proof of insurance etc. (private home owner's insurance does not cover business activities, B&B operators have to get special insurance to cover their businesses), and in some areas, zoning regulations, or as stated strata or condo associations, forbid overnight rentals totally.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,838 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vancouver suite for under $50/night for 11 days

Just to clarify. Our building does allow rentals, but not short term rentals such as a week or two weeks. It must be a longer term rental to a person who is using the strata lot as a home and not as a vacation or business short term stay. The issue in our building was that an owner did have permission to rent but was renting the suite out by the week to holidayers.

Good points krp329 about the private home issues. Never thought about it, but now that I do...the whole Olympic thing comes back to mind and how rules were temporarily changed to allow this.

Edited: 15 November 2010, 02:13