We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driveing Vancouver to Bridge lake

Caloundra, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
driveing Vancouver to Bridge lake

We live in Queensland Australia and never see snow in this state. We will be in Vancouver for December January and have the opportunity to travel to Bridge Lake to stay for a couple of days. We have been advised to travel on highway 1via Hope to Cache Creek then highway 97 to 100 mile turn right into highway 24 to Interlakes.

I have no experience in the snow. I have driven nemerous miles in semi-trailers and towing 20 feet caravan. The vehicle we will be in is a range rover but I don't know the specs i.e all wheel drive ect. Should we attempt this trip at this time of the year and is the best way to go.

Thanks

John Halpin

Caloundra QLD Australia

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,738 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driveing Vancouver to Bridge lake

If you have plenty of time and can go when the weather is good then you could do this trip. The roads willg enerally be plowed and sanded. Normally I'd say without winter driving experince to not go but isince you appear to have lots of diriving experience. I'd say yes you could do the trip. Drive only in the day time and only go if the weather is good. You can check www.drivebc.com for weather reports and highway cams. The route suggested would be the best although the Fraser canyon can be slow. You will avoid the Coquahalla which is much higher elevation.

The main thing to look for on the vehicle is either snow tires or all weather tires ( they will have little snow flake symbol on the side of the tire.) 4x4 only helps in snow but not on ice... tires are the key...also be sure to take shovel, blanket, some food and water, candle ( you can buy them in a tin)...all part of being prepared in case of emergency in winter driving.

Caloundra, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: driveing Vancouver to Bridge lake

thanks for that info. We will check the weather first

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: driveing Vancouver to Bridge lake

One odd situation that happens from time to time-leaving the coast here the weather is generally damp but mild-when you reach the mountains @ Hope winter hits with full force-and people's windows even doors freeze shut!

Not a serious problem more of an irritant but something to be aware of.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driveing Vancouver to Bridge lake

I grew up in northern Alberta where we enjoyed winter for about 10 months of the year. The two most important things to consider: good snow tires and being prepared for the worst.

A 4x4 will not "help" in snowy conditions. Good snow tires make all the difference. All weather tires can be iffy.

Bring winter boots & coats, candle, food, water, de-icer/sand/snow shovel, cell phone (not sure of coverage in that area of BC), emergency blankets (those simple silver ones from Canadian Tire), flashlight, and emergency highway lights.

The main roads you are travelling should be clear, but the rural roads around Bridge Lake may be snow covered.

British Columbia
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driveing Vancouver to Bridge lake

Hi John:

Assumably you are already in Vancouver as you wrote Dec., Jan. in B.C., Canada. I hope you get to read this before leaving for Bridge Lake, B.C.

I live and work in Cache Creek, B.C. and have done so since 1979.

The most dangerous, hazardous, and downright scary part of your trip will be to leave downtown Vancouver. The rest of your trip will be a piece of cake.

You will be travelling up the Fraser Canyon. It is the TRANS CANADA HWY. #1. Yes, there may be snow and ice and cold weather (its winter) but the hwy. is very well maintained with snowploys, sandtrucks, flashing lights, etc. in dangerous areas.

Yes, of course bring the usual emergency equipment listed in previous posts as it is only prudent. Cell phone coverage quits on top of the hill out of Hope, B.C. and kicks in and out along the route close to the towns you pass through until you are about 20 kms. out of Cache Creek. Cell phones will work until 20 km. north of C.C. then not until the turn-off for #24 (sketchy there) and then ??? Please note hwy. 24 goes to Little Fort, B.C.and then connects with Hwy. 5 (The Yellowhead) and will be maintained (plowed and sanded) on a very regular basis out of 100 Mile House.

There are a few of us that live outside the lower mainland of B.C. and we seem to have survived over the years by facing the elements head on and overcoming the obstacles.

Have a nice trip,

Den

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,824 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: driveing Vancouver to Bridge lake

On their Lake Louise thread, they say they are not coming to Canada.

British Columbia
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: driveing Vancouver to Bridge lake

Well then......Haha....Never Mind...

8. Re: driveing Vancouver to Bridge lake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2011, 05:17