We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver to Rocky Mountains in 9 days - suggestions please

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
australia
Level Contributor
312 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Vancouver to Rocky Mountains in 9 days - suggestions please

Hello There,

It is doing my head in but I think I am close to confirming what I want to do.

1. Hiring a motorhome and driving from Vancouver to Rocky Mountains capturing all the sights to see, lake Louise, banff,jasper, calgary etc with a big loop returning to Vancouver to drop off the motorhome.

Does someone have a realistic, achieveable itinanary that I could follow to capture all of these things in 9 days.

Obviously looking at a loop where you dont travel the same ground twice......

Thanks guys.......wife and 2 kids is enough stress

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,125 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vancouver to Rocky Mountains in 9 days - suggestions please

Vancouver to Jasper to Banff to Revelstoke and back to Vancouver. Alternatively you can fly to Calgary and omit a couple of days of driving since you don't have a lot of days to play with.

Driving a motorhome through the mountains never struck me as a stress free good time, but to each his own.

Lots of options so the more info provided the better the replies...

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,088 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vancouver to Rocky Mountains in 9 days - suggestions please

G'day eelboy

I have gone back to your previous posts and see that you are looking at September, and have two kids with you. Nine days is a pretty good amount of time IMO to drive a circle route through the Rockies. Have a good look at the suggested routes here:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154922-c120076/Briti…

I would seriously recommend, however, posting on the Alberta forum as RV facilities in the Banff and Jasper NP's are not available like camping grounds here, and there are also some very recent posts on that forum dealing with similar issues.

australia
Level Contributor
312 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vancouver to Rocky Mountains in 9 days - suggestions please

Thanks guys,

As you can see by my recent posts - trying to plan 7 weeks in USA/Canada with a family is not that easy... Thanks for the advice.. Just need to lock in some things and the rest will flow from there....

Vancouver
Level Contributor
487 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vancouver to Rocky Mountains in 9 days - suggestions please

Having done this trip I know there is a LOT of amazing stuff to see in Alberta specifically. Here is what I would do (and similar to what I have done) that will take you to some remarkable places. Its a bit rushed but you can make it work!

Day 1: Drive Vancouver-Lake Louise

Day 2: lake Louise -Jasper

Day 3: Jasper-Banff

Day 4: Explore Banff, do a trip to the icefields (the icefields were a huge highlight! banff is gorgeous TONS of wildlife)

Day 5: Banff-Dinosaur provincial park (this place blew me away! the badlands are amazing you and your family will love it)

Day 6:explore the park depart later in the day to Calgary

Day 7: Calgary-Kelowna (Kelowna and the area is quite lovely long travel day here)

Day 8: Kelowna-Vancouver (enjoy Kelowna and area, stop by some local wineries/fruit stands! the fruit in the Okanagan area is amazing same goes for their wine!)

Day 9: you have the day to explore Vancouver and take in some of the great sites that Vancouver has to offer!

This is just my opinion but those were places I would not want to miss!

Please also make sure you read up about how to drive through the mountains as tourists tend to destroy their RV's/cars. read up on how you should drive etc.

Have fun!

Edited: 10 December 2010, 23:43
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,470 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vancouver to Rocky Mountains in 9 days - suggestions please

We did a nine day camping trip last summer:

Vancouver - Clearwater (2) - Mt. Robson - Jasper (3) - Icefields Parkway - Revelstoke (2) - Vancouver. My husband complained at how very rushed it was, and I felt like we really only skimmed the surface.

You will have to cut out Wells Grey Provincial Park in order to squeeze in Banff. I would DEFINITELY recommend that, if you are camping, plan on taking two days to do the trip between Jasper and Banff, spending one night enroute. There are several campgrounds with lots of options. We ended up in the large overflow campground south of the Icefields. It didn't have much in the way of facilities (we actually drove the 5 km up the road to use the washrooms at the main campground before turning in for the night) but the view there was absolutely spectacular! The other campgrounds were surrounded by trees, but this one was a big open parking lot. Not much to look at, but what a view!!

You will almost certainly need a night between Vancouver and Jasper, because it will be after lunch time by the time you collect your RV and get on the road, learn how to drive it, etc.

Also, remember, that the only time you get to see anything is when you spend two nights in one place. If you are moving on every day, you will stare out the window wishing you had more time to stop.

Take a look at something like: Vancouver - Valemount - Jasper (3) - Icefields Parkway - Banff (3) - Vancouver. You could pull one night from either Banff or Jasper to put into Revelstoke, but really, I would accept that you can't see everything with that kind of timeline and just focus on the good stuff.

You will be able to get from Banff back to Vancouver in one day, but will probably have to stop one last night near the city somewhere, as its unlikely you will be back in time to drop off the RV.

6. Re: Vancouver to Rocky Mountains in 9 days - suggestions please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2016, 23:00
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vancouver to Rocky Mountains in 9 days - suggestions please

ta for all that, coming from south australia in august, sounds like great drives. rod

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,389 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Vancouver to Rocky Mountains in 9 days - suggestions please

No need to visit Whistler at all-it's rather underwhelming compared to The Rockies.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,470 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vancouver to Rocky Mountains in 9 days - suggestions please

Around Jasper, there is Mount Edith Cavel (needs a couple of hours min to walk to the foot of the glacier, best to visit in the evening because the sun is shining on the ice rather than coming from behind it), Malign Canyon needs 2 or 3 hrs to walk down and back, Malign Lake can be a short visit, but if you want to go for a canoe or a boat ride on the lake, you'll need the entire afternoon, I really enjoyed the drive out to Miette Hotsprings, although the experience of the hot springs themselves can be repeated at any of the hot spring pools throughout the area. We didn't do the gondola up the mountain overlooking Jasper, but we did hike the Old Fort trail which took the morning, and then there is just browsing the town.

www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/jasper/visit.aspx

You could very happily spend three nights in Jasper townsite area and not see and do everything worthwhile to do.

Down the Icefields Parkway, there is Athabasca Falls, Sunwapta Falls, the Columbia Icefields (which is at least a two hour stop, more if you choose to eat there) and then on to Sunwapta Pass, I wanted to hike Parker Ridge, but we didn't have time (AND we took 2 days over this part of the trip), Bow Summit, Peyto Lake and on to Banff.

pc.gc.ca/eng/…visit38.aspx

Do not make the mistake of underestimating this region. It is spectacular. It is world class. It will be (weather permitting) one of the most memorable vacations of your life. Don't sell it short.

10. Re: Vancouver to Rocky Mountains in 9 days - suggestions please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2011, 06:21