We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver for 3 days with kids - May 2011

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
346 posts
192 reviews
Save Topic
Vancouver for 3 days with kids - May 2011

My wife and I along with our 2 daughters 10 and 8 would be visiting Vancouver for 3 days in Mid May 2011. Our interest lies in nature, scenic beauty.

We would be doing Orlando,Alaska,New York besides Vancouver in this trip. (Realise the distances but this might be our only trip to the region and we want to do all that is on our bucket list).

Have chalked out below itineray for Vancouver -

Day 1 - arrive around noon - Stanley Park, Aquarium

Day 2 - Grouse Mountain, Downtown. Time permitting do Granville Market, Gastown.

Day 3 - day trip to Whistler

Day 4 - depart morning

Is this itinerary possible to do. Any suggestions to leave/add anything.

Thanks for any comments.

Sechelt, BC
Level Contributor
748 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vancouver for 3 days with kids - May 2011

It is a brief stay in Vancouver so you have done a good job of pairing your attractions down. All of these things would be of great interest to 8 & 10 year olds. Are you planning to rent a car? A car is not needed except for your trip to Whistler.

Gastown - not much to see and wouldn't really hold the interest of 8 & 10 year olds

Granville Island - make use of the Aquabus to travel there. Lets you get out on the water to see the city from a different point of view and is fun

Stanley Park - mid May the weather can be hit or miss (actually the weather can be that way any time of year). Look at renting bikes and biking around Stanley Park

Downtown - strolling around Vancouver is fun but I would narrow it down a little

Check out www.findfamilyfun.com

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,349 posts
445 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vancouver for 3 days with kids - May 2011

Like thecoastcouple said I think you've got it sorted for a short trip. I would definitely include Granville Island though (not if you have time but you should make time for this and using the Aquabus). I always find it very interesting to see what types of food folks eat in all the spots we travel to. The Market gives you a great overview of this and artworks from our region. You might also include Chinatown or a visit to the Richmond Night Market if this is an area of interest for you. Our son, when he was you daughters ages really loved going to Granville Island (still does).

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
62,803 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vancouver for 3 days with kids - May 2011

Yes, you have pared things down to just enough special choices.

You could spend a half day in the Aquarium, it's that good.

Day 2 - Grouse Mountain. Be careful of the weather. If you cannot see the top of the mountain from the city, you will not be able to see through those same clouds down to the city. So have Plan B ready for that.

Granville Island has a Kids Market which might appeal to your daughters. And out back of that is a waterpark. If you should find a hot sunny day while you are there, they might enjoy all the squirting-out-of-the-ground water bits and pieces. (Take a change of clothes.)

Chinatown during the day might appeal to your whole family more than Gastown. Look on the following link for information. But I would suggest Science World over both of these.

You wouldn't necessarily need a car to go to Whistler. Pacific Coach Lines is a comfortable way to get there: www.pacificcoach.com . And Greyhound, the working horse coach line, also goes there: www.greyhound.ca . Both leave from Pacific Central Station.

So have a sunny day itinerary and a rainy day itinerary planned.

Edited: 06 January 2011, 16:37
Level Contributor
489 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vancouver for 3 days with kids - May 2011

Your itinerary sounds good! Try staying at Robson Suites as it is central to everything you are doing.

I would definitely try to not miss Granville Island. Its so great!

Try Go Fish for some great Fish and Chips, its just outside of the Market area.

Have a great trip!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
422 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vancouver for 3 days with kids - May 2011

On your way to or from Grouse Mountain you might also consider stopping at Capilano Suspension Bridge. If you like nature, you might enjoy their treetops adventure: http://www.capbridge.com/

The Capilano River fish hatchery is also very interesting:

Both of these places are good to visit regardless of the weather.

6. Re: Vancouver for 3 days with kids - May 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2011, 05:21