We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Weather in october

leeds west yorkshire
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
The Weather in october

We will be visiting Vancouver, Victoria and Parksville early October for 2 weeks, celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary. What can we expect from the weather.

Although we will be coming from, no doubt, a chilly Yorkshire, England.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
2,044 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Weather in october

A few rainy days plus some sunny days. Temps will be between 10-15C. Here's a link to the weather from this past October. It was fairly dry except on the 9th.

…weatheroffice.gc.ca/climateData/…

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Weather in october

October is a "transitional" month from September, which is usually quite nice, to November, which is often quite awful. As stated, you will likely get a mixture of rainy and sunny days during the first two weeks. Even on sunny days, the evenings and nights wil be quite cool; so bring layers of clothing to wear. I also associate October with early morning mist - not heavy fog, but the gentle mist that comes off schoolyards, farmers' fields, etc., until the sun burns it off. It's quite nice actually.

On a completely different subject, the second Monday in October (October 10 this year) is Canadian Thanksgiving and therefore like a bank holiday in the UK . This normally means that ferries and roads are busy, since it's the last possibly nice long weekend of the year. (Yes, to those reading, I know that November 11th is on Friday this year, also resulting in a long weekend. However, who expects November 11th to be "possibly nice"?) If you are travelling by ferry on October 7 - 10, inclusive, look into reservations. Also, expect all government offices, all banks, and many businesses to be closed on October 10th as well as some restaurants to be heavily booked.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,325 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Weather in october

Every year is different, but my general rule of thumb on Vancouver Island is if I haven't got my outdoor painting done before the end of the 3rd week in September then it won't get done because we almost never get 3 days in a row with out precipitation of some sort.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
62,245 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Weather in october

<<However, who expects November 11th to be "possibly nice"?>>

lol @ itchy :-)

leeds west yorkshire
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Weather in october

Thanks for your replies.

We are flying to Victoria on the 6th Oct so will be ok, although we are travelling by train on the 10th to Parksville. I'd better do a little more research to whether trains are limited etc and get the hotel booked pretty sharpish.

Once again thanks. Helen

Vancouver
Level Contributor
353 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Weather in october

Not sure if this will help, but here goes:

I'm an avid golfer, but I stop playing when the rain becomes a real annoyance and the ground gets mushy. In recent years, I've always played until the middle of October and twice into the third week. That doesn't mean it didn't rain at all, just that it didn't rain hard enough to deter me.

Enjoy the trip.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
62,245 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Weather in october

Here is a video clip of the train from Victoria to Courtenay (and Parksville).

On October 10 which is Thanksgiving Monday, you would be wise to book your tix in good time.

The schedule you see now on their website may not be the same in October.

Introducing the TGV of Vancouver Island :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pftvd4rRSUQ

leeds west yorkshire
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Weather in october

Thanks for reply.

I play a little golf but the clubs will staying home for this holiday.

Hopefully the rain will be light, if at all.

Helen

leeds west yorkshire
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Weather in october

I will have to wait to watch the video clip. Am at work and no permission to access youtube.

Thanks again Helen.

Sechelt, BC
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: The Weather in october

So many times on these forums I feel so badly for a poster who asks about the weather. The replies are usually sarcastic and biting.

I braced myself when I opened this thread - especially when the weather in question is 10 months away.

Very well done - pleasant responses and helpful to anyone reading this thread. clap-clap to the bc folks ;-0 )