We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 day roadtrip - advice needed

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Port Glasgow...
Level Contributor
97 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
8 day roadtrip - advice needed

We are staying in Vancouver for 3 nights, then have a 7 night Alaskan cruise, we then plan to hire a car before our flight back from Vancouver 8 days later. Any suggestions on best road trip to take and accomodation along the way would be greatly appreciated.

Alison

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 day roadtrip - advice needed

What time of year will you be in Vancouver?

What are interested in seeing or doing along the way?

How about driving the Sea-2-Sky highway through Squamish and Whistler and then take the Duffy Lake Road through Pemberton to Lillooet. From Lillooet you could cross over to Cache Creek and then Kamloops and take the Coquihala back to Vancouver or drive through the Fraser Canyon (Lytton, Boston Bar, Hells Gate) and back to Vancouver.

Edited: 13 January 2011, 17:39
Kootenays, British...
Level Contributor
405 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 day roadtrip - advice needed

It depends on what you are interested in Alison. I presume you will not want to go to VanIsle as you will have just done the inside passage. I think your main options are: 1) a wine tour of the Okanagan; 2) a horse back riding ranch vacation in the Cariboo/Chilcotin; 3) a tour through the mountains.

I'm going to plump for #3. For #3 most people think of the Rockies (Banff/Jasper in particular) and if you don't mind the crowds those areas are beautiful. A better option is to drive up to the Okanagan and then through the West Kootenay making sure to stop at Slocan Lake and Ainsworth Hotsprings to name a couple of spots. You could then head over to the Rocky Mountain trench (aka East Kootenay) and drive up to Field/Golden and back to the coast.

You might even consider renting a motor home.

Edited: 13 January 2011, 17:41
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,166 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 day roadtrip - advice needed

So, just to clarify: 3 nights Vancouver, 7 nights Alaska Cruise which returns you to Vancouver (?) and then an 8 day road trip to somewhere.

Lots of options. 8 days is a good length of time. How far do you like to drive in a day? Most people try to zoom up to the Rockies and back, and it can be done, but that wouldn't be my recommendation in these circumstances. I think there's some merit in looking at Vancouver Island. Having cruised past it, you may be sufficiently intrigued to explore in more depth. I think a tour through the Okanagan wine country would be very appealing and enjoyable, with lots of options.

hellobc.com/en-CA/…ThompsonOkanagan.htm

If you don't want to drive much, and want to spend a couple of nights in the same spot, I think this would be a terrific loop for 8 days. Here's a route plan for you to look at:

http://tiny.cc/9zjly

Edited: 13 January 2011, 19:44
Port Glasgow...
Level Contributor
97 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 day roadtrip - advice needed

Thanks for the suggestions. It will be September, our cruise is the 4th-11th roundtrip to Vancouver, then we have an evening flight out of Vancouver on the 19th. We are interested in seeing the mountains, had thought about renting a RV, but as only one of us can drive that might prove stressful, so we'll stick with a car. Looking to drive about 200 miles a day.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,143 posts
392 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 day roadtrip - advice needed

200 miles a day is lots so I wouldn't rule out an RV trip. Say Vancouver to Whistler on Hwy 99, sometime in the Chilcotin area then south to the Okanagan and then back to Vancouver.

Just a thought!

6. Re: 8 day roadtrip - advice needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2012, 06:19