We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

going t vancouer may and would like to do drive to l.a

england
Level Contributor
570 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
going t vancouer may and would like to do drive to l.a

few questions,visiting family in burnaby but 6 going so would like to rent house/appartment for a week any ideas where i start looking?

also would like to rent r.v for ten and drive through america hopefully taking in san fran and callifornia,we have a week to do it,is it doable and any suggested must sees?we plan on renting in bellingham or seattle and returning to the same..

also is vegas drivable from vancouver?would loe to go even a fleeting visit.went to vancouver in october and loved it,but its such a gateway to lots of other places,in my head i want to go everywher but i know its not possible in the time we have..any help much appreciated

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,878 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: going t vancouer may and would like to do drive to l.a

there are incredibly good deals in the spring and early summer on Rvs as they need them repositioned to the west coast. Mostly from AZ or Las Vegas areas. Look at

elmonterv.com

crusiseamerica.com

both would allow you to drop in Bellingham or Seattle area. Train is very easy to get across to border. Do consider south coming north as it will be far less if you can get a special from these companies.

I reread your post. 7 days r/t isn't realistic if you want to include LA. Rent one way and fly out of Seattle or take train back to starting point.

Edited: 14 January 2011, 21:18
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: going t vancouer may and would like to do drive to l.a

These are great distances that you want to drive in a week using an R.V. With a car and more time many of us have driven to Las Vegas, San Fran and L.A. However, and someone here with R.V. driving experience will know better, but it could double the time that it would take in a normal car and restrict some of the more scenic coastal routes...unless you have a lot of experience driving R.V.'s and of driving on our side of the road.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,387 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: going t vancouer may and would like to do drive to l.a

I'm trying to think of the best answer for you, and don't want to tell you not to do it, but it is a long drive. I wouldn't do this trip.

In an RV you would basically have time to drive down to LA through SF on Interstate 5 and then turn around and barrel back. You would realistically have 2 days of available time to do ALL your sightseeing.

If you are bent on doing this then I would rent a mini-van (consume less gas and be able to cover more ground as it's a smaller, quicker vehicle), drive one way and fly back to origin city (Seattle?) or fly from where you end up (LA?) back to the UK.

Wow, just re-read your post. I doubt you will be able to find an RV for 10 people. You would need two or if you took the mini-van option then you would need 2 as well. You might be able to rent a GMC Savanah, 15 seater, but it would be fairly uncomfortable on a long, long drive.

Edited: 14 January 2011, 22:53
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
79,092 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: going t vancouer may and would like to do drive to l.a

"You might be able to rent a GMC Savanah, 15 seater, but it would be fairly uncomfortable on a long, long drive."

Hi budapesttont;

If you do explore this option, be sure to ask about the type of driver's license required to driver that kind of van.

Best Regards

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,387 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: going t vancouer may and would like to do drive to l.a

Good point RT. Thought of that vehicle because I watched a recently filmed show last night based in Oregon and the folks had rented 3 of them to do some tour. Never thought of any special licence requirements.

Canmore, Alberta
Destination Expert
for Canmore
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: going t vancouer may and would like to do drive to l.a

Just to throw out another option. You could look into the cost of flights to get to Las Vegas or LA. Sometimes there are very cheap flights available. You could do some site seeing from either one of those areas allowing for a much more relaxing time. A drive between LA to San Francisco or from LA to Vegas would be much more manageable.

Cheers:)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
29,810 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: going t vancouer may and would like to do drive to l.a

Keep in mind how much slower driving is in an RV. You have to set up and take down camp every evening, and you are slower on the roads. You would need at least three days to get to LA from Vancouver in an RV, and that's minimizing the amount of touring you do on the way.

In a week, even just going up to the Rockies and back is a push. Your goals are, IMO, very unrealistic.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
64,268 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: going t vancouer may and would like to do drive to l.a

I would say that the US portion of your idea is not really doable, not with any enjoyment anyway.

I would suggest you narrow down what part of the USA you would make a top priority to see: Oregon Coast? San Francisco, Los Angeles/Disneyland/San Diego Zoo. Then fly from Vancouver to the hub city for that area and rent your 15 seater there. You would have much more success over a week by covering less ground, in more depth.

A trip like the one you have outlined would be like taking a coach journey from Le Havre to Palermo Italy. This is the same distance as Vancouver to Los Angeles.

england
Level Contributor
570 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: going t vancouer may and would like to do drive to l.a

taken all your advice and decided disney callifornia is the main thing we would like to see,wev decided to leave the men in vancouver doing the outdoorsy stuff and the girls fly down,,maybe in the 2 week we have might also try fly to vegas if flights are cheap enough...now i need to rent somewhere for 2 weeks in or near burnaby but with the sky trains being as good as they are anywhere along the lines would be ok...any ideas where to start looking?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
29,810 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: going t vancouer may and would like to do drive to l.a

Many people seem to have success with this site:

http://www.vrbo.com/default_new.aspx