We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Victoria Canada

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
LIncoln, NE
Level Contributor
807 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
Victoria Canada

My husband and have about three days to visit Victoria and Vancouver before heading up to Whistler, where we'll be for a week, but weren't sure of the traveling options to do so as well as the timing. Anyone have any ideas of how to do this in the best way regarding cost and time?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Victoria Canada

One option would be Pacific Coach lines. They run buses from the Vancouver bus station to downtown Victoria. Here is their website -

http://www.pacificcoach.com/

Your luggage would be loaded onto the bus, the bus would drive out to the ferry terminal and onto the ferry, you would have a lovely 90-minute ferry ride and then return to the bus for the ride into Victoria. It's about 4 hours in all.

The "rock bottom" method, in terms of price, is by public transportation. You would take the Canada Line from downtown Vancouver to the Bridgeport Station, then a #620 bus from Bridgeport out to the ferry terminal. The fare from downtown Vancouver to the ferry terminal would be $5.00 (a three-zone fare). You would then pay the ferry fare, get off at Swartz Bay and catch public transportation into Victoria ($2.50 last summer, may have changed).

Two downsides - it's a struggle with a lot of luggage because, there is a lack of luggage space on the buses (the Canada Line, however, has quite a bit of room). Also, it is difficult to coordinate the public transportation with specific ferry departures. When we tried public transportation, just for fun to see if you could be done, we just missed the ferry departure on the outgoing route. It was pleasant to sip tea/coffee outside while we were waiting, but when you visiting from out of town, it would cut into your valuable sightseeing time. For visitors, I think the Pacific Coach Lines option is preferable.

Edited: 19 January 2011, 19:55
Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,870 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Victoria Canada

See "Top Questions" on this page for info on all the options.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Victoria Canada

One thing I should have mentioned in my first post - you may want to consider whether, if you have only three days before travelling to Whistler, you spend them all in Vancouver. Victoria is 4 hours one way from downtown Vancouver, which makes for a very long day. If people truly want to go over to Victoria, it is sometimes suggested that they take PCL one way to experience the lovely ferry ride and then fly back. However, you did mention cost as being a factor and the bus/fly options is expensive. You could easily fill three days in Vancouver if you decided to leave Victoria for another trip. (BTW, I assume that you are spending a week up at Whistler to ski? Otherwise. it is a long time to be there.)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,217 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Victoria Canada

When are you coming? It will make a whole lot of difference to the transportation advice you get.

My suggestion:

Day 1 from the airport: catch Pacific Coach Lines to Victoria, 3 hours one way from YVR, 4 hours from downtown Vancouver, spend one night.

Day 2 visit Victoria in the morning, if you are visiting during tourist season, look for the PCL offering of a 1:00 departure from Victoria with a stop at Butchart Gardens, continuing on to the ferry back to Vancouver with an arrival time of about 7:30 pm, spend 2 nights. PCL will not yet have this schedule offering on their website.

You could also fly by seaplane from Vancouver harbour to Victoria harbour in 35 minutes.

www.pacificcoach.com

www.bcferries.com

www.harbour-air.com

Day 3-4 visit Vancouver. Take a later-in-the-day PCL coach from Vancouver to Whistler, about 3 hours ride, enjoy Whistler for the week.

I would recommend you stay in Vancouver for the 3 days. Here are enough highlights to keep you busy.

Granville Island and False Creek

Stanley Park, including the Aquarium

Gastown - for a self guided walking tour: http://www.gastown.org/history/index.html --> take a self guided walking tour. Otherwise this historic birthplace of Vancouver will just be brick and stone to you.

4 Self Guided walks - vancouver.ca/commsvcs/…index.htm

Chinatown

Museum of Anthropology at UBC

Robson Street

Bill Reid Gallery at 639 Hornby St. between Dunsmuir and Georgia

Vancouver Art Gallery, with its great Gallery Restaurant

Grouse Mountain

Lynn Canyon Susp Bridge (free) or Capilano Susp Bridge ($$$)

Maritime Museum - www.vancouvermaritimemuseum.com/page216.htm

Van Dusen Gardens

Queen Elizabeth Park and the Bloedel Conservatory

LIncoln, NE
Level Contributor
807 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Victoria Canada

We'll be in Whistler for a convention end of July and first part of August and then plan to ride the train from Whislter to Jasper and see that part of Canada. However, we have about two days to kill between when the convention ends and we can tboard the train. So, were trying to look into seeing Victoria. We are planning on flying in early to stay in Vancouver so will have time to do the things you suggested.. But the driving time from Whistler to Victoria might not be worth the extra time to go there and the flying would be preferred but of course, it's expensive to do that. We have plenty of time to plan as the trip isn't until the first part of August. Thanks for all your tips.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,165 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Victoria Canada

Based on your new information, personally I wouldn't go to Victoria for that short of time but that only me.

If you do want to do so, then you would need to rent a car and drive from Whistler to Horseshoe Bay (2 hours) to take the ferry to Departure Bay in Nanaimo (about 3 hours with waiting time and you should have a reservation) then drive to Victoria (2 hours). So about 7 hours to get from Whistler to Victoria if everything goes properly (no delays on Sea to Sky highway, ferry on time, you have a ferry reservation and no traffIic congestion in Victoria). Obviously getting back would be the same timing.

If it was me I would either stay in Whistler or go back to Vancouver and leave seeing Vancouver Island to another time.

LIncoln, NE
Level Contributor
807 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Victoria Canada

Again, thanks. This is what I love about tripadvisor. Never having been in this area, we really appreciate the advice. I was afraid we were trying to do to much in a short period of time and am glad of your help.

8. Re: Victoria Canada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2012, 19:16