We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Small private party / memorial

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
england
Level Contributor
305 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Small private party / memorial

Hi,

I live in the UK, but have to fly to Vancouver to organise a funeral for my Dad - something I have little experience of. I would appreciate any recommendations for a function room / private room in a restaurant for a small gathering / memorial - 15 people approx. Somewhere relatively informal would suit best. Any ideas at all would really help.

Thank you,

Hugie

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,211 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Small private party / memorial

I'm sure this is not an easy time for you. There are some locations with garden settings (although there's not much "garden" happening here right now, as the snow or rain falls.)

I will assume you do not mean a funeral, with casket present, but more of a memorial get together with friends and family to remember your father.

Have a look at the following link:

www.vancouverdine.com/sequoia0group.aspx

The Tea House is in Stanley Park, Seasons in the Park is at Queen Elizabeth Park, Carderos is near Stanley Park.

There is also the Shaughnessy at Van Dusen Gardens. They have a large dining room but I am confident that they would know how to divide this space off very nicely for a small private function.

www.shaughnessyrestaurant.com/home_main.html

Of this selection, my vote would be for the Shaughnessy: easy parking, residential neighbourhood, lovely outlook into the gardens, nice ambiance. Second would be Carderos' with an outlook onto Vancouver harbour.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,868 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Small private party / memorial

Another option is a private club. You will need a member sponsor, but generally the club will provide one to get the business. Here's just one of many: http://www.royalvan.com/

Whistler, Canada
Destination Expert
for Whistler
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Small private party / memorial

I am sorry for your loss.

Agree with the Teahouse Restaurant in Stanley Park. They have a small room called the Drawing Room that sits 40. Their sister restaurant called Seasons, located in Queen Elizabeth Park has a private room called Skyline Room but it's a bit bigger as it sits 70. They also the Garden Vista Room on lower floor for 40.

For venue’s these would be relatively quiet options, plus they have catering. There would be a venue rental fee along with the cost of food.

Timber Room on Groues Mountain, you can rent the City View side which sits 40

Bridge House Restaurant at Capilano Suspension Bridge sits 40

Other restaurants:

La TerrazzaEnoteca for 20 and Terrace Room for 40

Lupo – private room for 30

Not sure if a wine room is fitting but:

Cin Cin Restaurant – wine room for 30

Bluewater Café – front wine room 24 or back wine room for 40

Cioppino’s – wine room for 24

I personally would give Cardero's a pass (sorry muftimix) but there’s no private area, so would be a bit too noisy. If you’re looking for something like Cardero’s, Sandbar on Granville Island has a private room for about 20.

There are more options with private areas such as Goldfish Pacific Kitchen, Joe Fortes, Il Giardino, Gothams Steakhouse, Hamilton Street Grill that have private rooms or areas, but the atmosphere may not be as fitting.

Remember to ask what the minimum spend is as most restaurants will require one when using their private rooms.

And of course there are plenty of hotels that have functions rooms as well.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,351 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Small private party / memorial

hugenio, I'd second the spots mentioned by Mufti, especially Seasons in the Park ( restaurant in Queen Elizabeth park) and Shaugnessy at Van Dusen. Both are about a 10 minute cab ride from downtown. I wouldn't say they are "informal" but neither are they stuffy.

england
Level Contributor
305 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Small private party / memorial

Thank you for your wonderful recommendations, I have looked at them and they all look good. I am thinking about a venue near UBC's Wesbrook Mall - are any of these in easy reach?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,211 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Small private party / memorial

UBC is a great environment. It takes one maybe two buses and about 40 minutes, depending where at UBC you are talking about - Wesbrook is 3.5 km long! By car from downtown, it would take 20-30 minutes. Will you have cars?

If you could let us know the venue, is it Cecil Green House? I could tell you exactly what's involved with the bus, or with parking if you had cars. And I assume you are talking about the next couple of weeks? You could have a look at Brock House as well (near UBC.)

I'm just finding out a bit more on a location on the Canada Line route, only 5 minutes from downtown. Has free parking as well. I'll get back to you about that one.

Here's a map showing the route from downtown Vancouver to the north end of Wesbrook, then the full length of Wesbrook. Cecil Green is just a few blocks west of the north end of Wesbrook. Zoom and you will see the label for it.

http://tinyurl.com/4fk93ol

Edited: 20 January 2011, 21:23
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,211 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Small private party / memorial

Oops, just change the map icon from the pedestrian to the car or the transit icon for time accuracy.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,211 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Small private party / memorial

Look for a personal message.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,042 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Small private party / memorial

There's also a public golf course out at UBC that may suit you. No membership required. I've not been, but friends who work in Pacific Spirit have been several times.

http://www.universitygolf.com/

Edited: 21 January 2011, 00:40
10. Re: Small private party / memorial

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2012, 05:35