We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver to Alaska round trip informal / small ship?

hants UK
Level Contributor
135 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
Vancouver to Alaska round trip informal / small ship?

Hi, we have been looking at the cruise options for 7 day round trips from Vancouver but we don't fancy the formal nights. Is there a company that does a more casual cruise? We are not necessarily looking for a cheaper option but a smaller ship would suit us better. We plan to do this end of July/ August.

Thankyou,

Vicky

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,217 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vancouver to Alaska round trip informal / small ship?

Cruise West from Seattle offered small ship excursions but went out of business last yr. You may have better luck asking this on

cruisecritic.com

a sister site that specializes in cruises.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
17,340 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vancouver to Alaska round trip informal / small ship?

The smallest ships on the traditional Inside Pasage cruise are HAL at about 1200 passengers, although you would never know it. They have only two formal nights, but that is only the main dining room and they do have an extremely good Bistro which is casual dress.

There is much more information on the Alaska forum where if you go to the Top Questions top right of screen you will find one on cruises.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,322 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vancouver to Alaska round trip informal / small ship?

Ah, my thought exactly.

Here is the link to the Alaska forum Top Question article:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k38186…

Port McNeill
Level Contributor
469 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Vancouver to Alaska round trip informal / small ship?

You might consider going much, much smaller on boats that may have only 8 to 16 guests and emphasize the wildlife and natural history of the areas they visit. They do not depart from Vancouver so you would need to fly further north to meet them. They are also a far cry from a cruise ship so may not be what you are looking for.

Here are two sail boats that visit southeast Alaska plus many other destinations along the BC coast www.mapleleafadventures.com and www.bluewateradventures.ca

Below is 54 foot motor yacht that does inside passage cruises (only the BC portion) www.oceanadventures.bc.ca/insidepassage.html

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,313 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vancouver to Alaska round trip informal / small ship?

Yes, I was going to suggest that. I knew some people who did a small boat cruise (I think it was about 30 or 40 people) up the coast with a focus on natural history education. These kinds of trips are expensive, but would be a wonderful experience. Might not take you all the way to Alaska, but you would be cruising some of the inland fjords and waterways that the large ships can't get up.

Not sure where you might look to find something like that though....

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,313 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vancouver to Alaska round trip informal / small ship?

Quick google search turned up these:

toursexplore.com/Joomla/canada/british-colum…

britishcolumbia.com/recreation/results.asp…

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
17,340 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vancouver to Alaska round trip informal / small ship?

Many of the small ship cruise operators are listed in the cruise Top Question on the Alaska forum so kindly linked by Mufti. If interested, please ensure that you read the whole thread, not just the original few posts, as some additional information appears in posts by others later in the thread. There certainly are some marvellous small ship cruises on offer for the fantastic Inside Passage region and, as mentioned, most are based from Juneau, Haines, Sitka etc requiring a flight into those areas. If I had the money, and a few years younger (like about 30 of them) .........

I should also mention that all ships on the AK run have very good bistros for those not wanting a formal night; I mentioned HAL earlier because that was with whom I cruised. While I was forced by SWMBO to take a suit (my everyday work clothes) I found that for a bloke neat slacks and shirt, tie, non-sport shoes and jacket seemed to be not uncommon on the formal nights, which we greatly enjoyed.

Two important points IMO are to first look for cruises including Glacier Bay National Park which is staggeringly beautiful (HAL and Princess only) and secondly preferably sailing from Vancouver, not Seattle (sorry davidmg). The reasons are given in the AK TQ, as are also links to the Alaska cruise calendar to help you plan.

Have fun, and please post on the AK forum for further advice where myself, or several of the others on that forum, will assist.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
578 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vancouver to Alaska round trip informal / small ship?

Oceania is starting to cruise to Alaska this year. I am not quite sure when, but it may be worth a look. No formal nights, casual attire.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
17,340 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vancouver to Alaska round trip informal / small ship?

Oceania minimum cruise time is 10 days for one cruise only, and 12 to 14 days for their other offerings, some from San Francisco. I must admit, though, that they will be docking in ports not often used by the regular runners, and some of their itineraries look very tasty. But OMG the prices, even with the special offers now available. :(

mumbai
Level Contributor
34 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vancouver to Alaska round trip informal / small ship?

the norwegian line cruise ships are the normal size ones but give free style dining and dressing option where you are free to eat in any of the restaurants in any clothes and at the time of your choice.also it is a more casual and not formal affair.