We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pet Friendly Vancouver

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
8 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Pet Friendly Vancouver

My husband and I are traveling to Vancouver with a 12 week old puppy next week, we'll be staying in the downtown area. On usual travels, we like to get a feel for what it's like to be locals. The puppy though will really limit the places we can go. But we still want to be able to maximize our sightseeing, as this is our first time to Canada.

Would really appreciate suggestions on places where pets are welcome, as well as modes of transportation other than renting a car. For locals, where would you go with your puppy and how will you get there?

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
75,018 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pet Friendly Vancouver

Hi alhambramd;

Having the puppy along will restrict where you can go, what you can do, and what you can see. Attractions and restaurants will only allow service dogs into the property. Most hotels that allow dogs will insist that they not be left alone.

Make sure that your dog has had all its shots, and bring proof of them with you. Canada Border Services Agency (Customs) may ask for the paperwork, or deny entry to the animal. A dog tag is NOT sufficient proof of vaccination.

Animals entering Canada fall under the jurisdiction of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency. For additional information about bringing your pet into Canada, I would suggest reading their FAQ page;

inspection.gc.ca/english/…canqueste.shtml

Best Regards

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,289 posts
432 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pet Friendly Vancouver

While this site is mainly geared to hotels there may be some information useful to you.

www.petfriendly.ca/british-columbia-bc.php

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,747 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pet Friendly Vancouver

I would have to walk everywhere, with an animal. I would have to take short walks to accommodate a puppy's energy levels. I would pretty much have to stay outdoors. You will likely not be able to leave the dog alone at the hotel. Not a good plan to bring your animal with you.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
489 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pet Friendly Vancouver

Viva Suites is a pet friendly property

the Georgian Court is pet friendly

the loden is pet friendly

Also there are a lot of doggy companies that will come walk and watch the puppy for 15 minutes, half an hour or hour long walks. The hotels will have their own contacts

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pet Friendly Vancouver

Translink runs our transit system. Per their site

"Pets on Transit Travelling with a furry friend? ... Pets, including dogs, cats, rabbits and small fur-bearing or feathered animals are allowed on transit as long as they are in small, hand-held cages. ... Pets are not permitted on HandyDART with the exception of Assistance Animals. ... Be prepared to produce your Guide Animal Certificate.

The cage or container must fit on your lap or at your feet.

If you’re travelling with your pet, it’s best to make your trips during off-peak hours.

The transit operator, at his or her discretion, may not allow you to board with your pet if there is a concern for the safety or comfort of your fellow passengers.

Assistance animals that are certified by the British Columbia Guide Animal Act are allowed on public transit at all times.

If you’re using an assistance animal while travelling on one of TransLink’s services, the animal must wear its harness and leash.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,289 posts
432 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pet Friendly Vancouver

Hi westenda,

Sounds like the OP has a place to stay already ... "we'll be staying in the downtown area."

FWIW, lots of hotels are pet friendly in that they allow pets in the rooms while the guest is there however most will not allow a pet to be left in the room. For example, the Coast Hotel chain's policy is:

http://tinyurl.com/5unlvfr

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
8 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pet Friendly Vancouver

Thanks for all the replies. We already have accommodations, and we've already done our research on the requirements for getting her across the border (at this point she's too young for the rabies shots, so she just needs to look healthy when she gets there). And yes, we know it's inconvenient traveling with a dog, but that's what we're doing.

We are perfectly happy being outdoors and sightseeing, and our dog has an amazing stamina for walking and is obedience trained. We were hoping we could get advice from locals as to neighborhoods that are great for walking, Also we needed to find out if public transportation was ok with small dogs.

Anyways, I found my answers on another website, I just thought I'd share it here, in case somebody else has the same question at some point in time. Here's the website:

dogfriendly.com/server/travel/uscities/guide…

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,747 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pet Friendly Vancouver

There are lots of neighbourhoods/outdoor areas that are great for walking: Kits, Point Grey, the West End. All the seawall walks will allow dogs, on leash. The law here requires people to pick up after their dogs.

Your link lists restaurants with outdoor patios. Be somewhat prepared for only the indoor part of the restaurant to be open this time of year.

Here's the info about dogs on public transit: "Small dogs in hard-sided carriers are allowed on the SeaBus (ferry), SkyTrain (train) and buses."

Temps next week will run highs of about 8C and lows about 2 or 1C. Periods of rain/showers are forecast, but that can change by the half day. Consider bringing rain gear.

You will certainly be able to have a very outdoorsy, open air visit to Vancouver as it's very easy to get around.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pet Friendly Vancouver

I would double check the idea that your puppy just has to look healthy. Looking at the Canadian Food Inspection site it seems to state that if your dog is under 8 months and comes from a country not rabies free, you can click on their link and see that the U.S. is not rabies free, you must have a rabies vaccination certificate. Although the site is mainly about importing dogs, it does mention dogs passsing through Canada, so logically that may mean dogs travelling with owners on holidays. Perhaps someone has personal experience regarding this and can help clarify all this.

"Dogs Less Than Eight (8) Months of Age From Countries Not Recognized by Canada as Being Rabies-Free

This information is current as of 2011-02-11.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Import requirements for dogs accompanied by their owners

Dogs that are accompanied by their owners require:

•a signed rabies vaccination certificate.

The rabies vaccination certificate must:

•be written in English or French;

•be issued and signed by a licensed veterinarian;

•identify the animal (as in breed, colour, and weight);

•state that the animal is vaccinated against rabies;

•indicate the date of vaccination;

•indicate the trade name and the serial number of the licensed vaccine; and

•specify the duration of immunity (otherwise, it will be considered valid for one year from the date of vaccination).

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pet Friendly Vancouver

I should add that the site does mention dogs under 3 months not needing a rabies vaccination certificate, but in that case you still may be asked for documentation proving the dogs age.