We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unique sights & activities in Vancouver?

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maine
2 posts
Save Topic
Unique sights & activities in Vancouver?

Coming to Vancouver via Whistler with 2 kids (8 & 11) and husband for 1 or 2 days. Any recommendations on special things to see or do on the way south to Vancouver. Should we spend a night in Vancouver or somewhere special around Vancouver? Are the Harrison Hot Springs worth the visit(hot enough)? The Terminal City Club Towers sounds like a great hotel in Vancouver but is it just for Club members? Is Victoria Island something we should try to take in considering our short time there and the time of year? Whoever can offer some good advice, I am very appreciative. Thanks

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,676 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unique sights & activities in Vancouver?

If you'll only be here for 1 or 2 days, you won't be able to see Whistler and Vancouver and Victoria. The ferry ride to Victoria will take up at least half a day itself. With the short window of time that you have available, I think you need to pick one place that you want to explore and leave the rest for another time.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,858 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unique sights & activities in Vancouver?

Vancouver is just a great city. Try to spend several hours at Stanley Park, Vancouver's beautiful regional park located on a peninsula near English Bay. In good weather, the 7 mile bike ride at the water's edge around Stanley Park is a wonderful experience. There are bike rentals nearby.

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
460 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unique sights & activities in Vancouver?

You can do Victoria in a day if you are on the first bus that leaves and take the absolute last one back. I did that and was able to see the gardens that are in Victoria, the government building, and an old mansion that is located in Victoria. I thinkt he bus leaves around 5:30AM but it is the only way to squeez everything in.

Maine
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Unique sights & activities in Vancouver?

To Camping Girl, thank you for your reply. We are going to be in Whistler for 5 days and returning to Vancouver for our flight out. We will have about a day and a half to explore in and around Vancouver. I know it is a short time but it is all we have so I am trying make the most of it by seeking out advice from those who know it best. Thanks for your input. We hope to visit again in the summer as I believe this would be a beautiful time of year to visit and really enjoy all that Vancouver and vicinity have to offer.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,244 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Unique sights & activities in Vancouver?

If you enjoy the outdoors try taking one of the excursions with http://sewellsmarina.com/safari.html

Great fun for kids of all ages.

B.C.
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Unique sights & activities in Vancouver?

Hi Maineeeac -

If you are only here for a day and a half it is probably a good idea to stick in Vancouver.

Harrison Hot Springs is not really worth the trip, in my opinion, unless you are traveling in the summer and plan to take full advantage of the other outdoor activities available.

My boyfriend and I are members of the Terminal City Club, and the rooms are not just for members. If you stay there you have full use of the facilities, which is nice, but at the same time you will probably find yourself "watched" by staff. Great amenities (including an ozonated pool). Have you looked into the Pan Pacific, Sheraton, or Westin Grand? (Depending on what you're looking for in a hotel, those are 3 options - and all a bit more kid friendly than the terminal city club.)

Stanley park is beautiful, but you won't want to spend too much time outside at this time of year. Definitely worth seeing though. There is an aquarium there too, if you are interested.

Granville Island is a great place to go as well.

A good website for you would probably be www.findfamilyfun.com.

Have a great time!