We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Over nighting Vancouver Airport 16 year old

EUROPE
Level Contributor
28 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Over nighting Vancouver Airport 16 year old

My daughter arrives at 19:30 from London to Vancouver Int. and has to go to Nanaimo. There is only one flight that I can see to get her across that leaves at 20:40. I am somewhat worried that she misses the connection/overbooking etc. Can she check into a hotel with no credit card (just cash) being 16 years of age? Is there some sort of childrens agency that will cope with this kind of situation? Visiting her best friend in Canada is for her a dream come true, but for her mum the logistics are turning into a nightmare...

Kootenays, British...
Level Contributor
405 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Over nighting Vancouver Airport 16 year old

My kids typically just crash at the airport for the night; but your daughter is a bit younger. If she chooses to do that just make sure she stays in an obvious public area. She probably won't get much sleep but jet lag will have her completely off schedule anyway. I don't know about any 'agencies'. There is a hotel that is part of the airport (Fairmont) but it is pretty pricey. I often stay at Delta Vancouver Airport which is a short cab ride away. I've never heard of any fuss about a sixteen year old but contact them first - they are both big chains.

My suggestion would be to arrange to have her friend/family from Nanaimo meet her at the Vancouver airport and stay in Vancouver for the night and take the ferry back in the AM. If you want to be very generous, offer to pick up the tab for the hotel & ferry fare.

Sechelt, BC
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
3,111 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Over nighting Vancouver Airport 16 year old

My son and his buddy missed the last ferry home after spending the day at Whistler. They were 17 and 18 at the time. They took the bus into North Van and tried to get a room - they were turned away by the first 2 motels they tried because they were not 19. Third try and the desk clerk - who I am sure, knew they were lying when they said they had no ID - took pity on them and said ok - and let them have a room for the night.

I was worried and extremely grateful to that desk clerk when they called and said they were ok - they were going to get a few hours sleep and catch the first ferry home in the morning. Redtrail’s suggestions would be the ones I would try to arrange - because of your daughter’s age she will not be able to rent a room.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,437 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Over nighting Vancouver Airport 16 year old

I would contact the Fairmont Airport Hotel http://www.fairmont.com/vancouverairport by e-mail or phone and present your info armed with a credit card to prepay the reservation. It is a pricey hotel but worth your peace of mind. 70 minutes is not much of a cushion to clear immigration, pick up baggage and run from the international terminal to the domestic terminal. Worse if the flight is from the South Terminal which is a bus ride away.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,556 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Over nighting Vancouver Airport 16 year old

What time is the next flight to Nanaimo?

I would agree that you should prebook and prepay a hotel for your daughter. Using the Fairmont hotel at the airport would be the most convenient, but also expensive. Another option would be to use a hotel that provides a free airport shuttle.

Your daughter would have to make her way to the area where the shuttle buses pick up their clients and find the correct bus. She would then get driven directly to the hotel where they would process the reservation. They would also provide her with a wake up call for her morning flight to Nanaimo and a shuttle back to the airport departures level.

A little more complicated, but she should be able to handle it. The worst that could happen is that she misses a few of the shuttle buses (which come about once an hour and usually run until about 22:00) before she gets the right one. Even if she caught the wrong bus, she would just have to ride it around it's route until she gets back to the airport and then try again.

The only other thing I would recommend is that she arrange with her friend to to a call in, and if she misses a call, then her friend could initiate a search immediately. One call from the airport on arrival, one call from the hotel to confirm she had arrived and checked in, and another call from the airport before departure.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,556 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Over nighting Vancouver Airport 16 year old

This information might also be helpful

yvr.ca/en/…information-assistance.aspx

Canada
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Over nighting Vancouver Airport 16 year old

Air Canada has an 8 p.m. and a 10:40 p.m. flight to Nanaimo. I would think the second one would be fine for time. That is, unless your daughter is arriving on a Saturday.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Over nighting Vancouver Airport 16 year old

I actually just read about someone @ YVR offering chaperone service to travelling children but forgot to bookmark the link.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Over nighting Vancouver Airport 16 year old

I actually don't think there should be a problem with arranging in advance with a hotel to have a room ready for the OP's daughter. The question of ID is often related to trying to avoid credit card fraud (e.g., do the names match), but that can be worked around fairly easily. Another possibility is to have a credit card issued in your daughter's name (a second card on one that you hold). That card can then be used for the reservation.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,989 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Over nighting Vancouver Airport 16 year old

Sam is probably referring to this company. I read about them in the paper a few weeks back, it's supposed to be for kids 5-12 years old. Best of luck.

http://www.myferrygodmother.com/

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Over nighting Vancouver Airport 16 year old

Yes that's it!

Thanks for the link.