We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver Best Location Help Please

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Aberdeen
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Vancouver Best Location Help Please

Hi

My wife and I are coming back to Vancouver for the first time in 20 years, this time with our three kids in tow! We have 12 nights before doing an Alaska cruise and looking for some local guidance please

After searching for months, I now have a choice of an 2 bed apartment in the espana building 188 keefer place, a 2 bed suite at coast plaza and suites and a 3 bed townhouse in athletes village (1659 ontario)

Prices vary and the hotel gets us breakfast and all have pool facilities.. My wife doesn't want to be high up though!

Would welcome any local guidance on what would be best .. Just goign to do all the regular tourist stuff etc and will have no car

Appreciate any feedback

Many Thanks

James and Grant family from Aberdeen, Scotland

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,249 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Vancouver Best Location Help Please

Coast Plaza is your best choice.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vancouver Best Location Help Please

I agree, a hotel is probably better with the service you would get. However I have actually been in Espana and the condos there are really nice, the area is not awesome but close enough to downtown, so I would consider it. Last place would be the Olympic ghost town, I mean village. It is away from everything and half the buildings are unoccupied.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
228 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vancouver Best Location Help Please

Coast Plaza by a mile: 3 blocks from Stanley Park, 4 from English Bay and the #6 bus runs along Denman, up Robson to downtown--where you can get any form of public transport pretty much.

Tons of restaurant choices on Denman, Davie and Robson too. And you've a supermarket and drug store both downstairs in the mall.

Have stayed there myself; heartily recommend it!

Aberdeen
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vancouver Best Location Help Please

Many thanks everyone for your common consensus.. Great value these boards bring

Best Regards

James

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vancouver Best Location Help Please

Bang on. Coast Plaza will be a much better choice especially with kids. It will be much easier and you are close to everything.

Aberdeen
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vancouver Best Location Help Please

Hi

Would appreciate just one more bit of help please..

From previous message, we are now focussing on an apartment as likely the best for us.  I have a good offer on the keefer place espana 2 apartment and it has good facilities and size

Just a question on the area.  Good to see shops, mall, sky train etc.  Just wondered the reality of how rough the area or surrounding areas are given it's china town location etc

Will we encounter any issues or just the the odd panhandler like any major city?

As a very curve ball I have a very good deal from Hilton at the airport/Richmond for a large family suite with breakfast as well

Ay advice gratefully received

Best Regards

James

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,165 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vancouver Best Location Help Please

On both of the posts you've put up the overwhelming consensus is the Coast. We have stayed there a few times and the location is outstanding. Get my vote of the three for sure.

I wouldn't even consider staying in Richmond, for what you are doing, as you will spend a lot of time on the Canada Line going to and from downtown.

Stick with the Coast, you won't regret it.

BTW you should join the Coast Rewards program. With a stay of that long you'll generate enough points for something (even a bit of Coast merchandise!)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,211 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vancouver Best Location Help Please

Now I'm confused because there are two threads of an identical nature. (Wondered why I was finding Dave's post and then not finding it!)

My question now is what happened to the Coast choice?

Edit: Oh, I see, one is on the BC Forum.

Edited: 01 April 2011, 00:51
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vancouver Best Location Help Please

Check out the "Granville Island Hotel". It's a great location.

10. Re: Vancouver Best Location Help Please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 03:16