We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving in the Rockies

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
229 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
driving in the Rockies

Thanks for advice on the YWCA. We have 3 days to drive in the Rockies leaving and returning to Calgary. Is there a 'loop' we can do, that will take in as much as possible? We have to stay in Calgary on the last night to catch a flight out in the morning. Any ideas of places to stay along the way, as we drive through the mountains?

Hull
Level Contributor
773 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving in the Rockies

I haven't picked up your other threads, but the reality is, you need more than 3 days to 'do' the Rockies.

All you can do is to drive to Banff (only 2 hrs, so almost a day to sightsee), stay both nights there, going as far up the Icefields Parkway as you can the next day and then another day around Banff for the many areas you missed on day one.

you don't have time to do a 'loop'.

I'm sure the DEs will supply ideas for where to stay, but I think it's Banff, Banff, or Banff as regards location- and you'll still miss a lot!

Kootenays, British...
Level Contributor
405 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving in the Rockies

Sure you can do a loop - but a different way than might first appear.

From Calgary drive to Banff and spend some time. Then continue on the #1 and turn south towards Radium/Invermere. Enjoy the hotsprings. Then south to Fairmont Hotsprings and take the scenic route up to Kimberly. From Kimberly head through Cranbrook to Fernie and Crowsnest. There are lots of potential sidetrips - like up the Flathead; down to Waterton; over to Cardston.

I'd suggest returning to Calgary via Highway 22 past the Bob Creek Wildland Provincial Park and such notable communities as 'Ranchland No. 66'. You are right in the foothills at the east slope of the Rockies. If you need another 'hit' of being in the mountains, turn left at Longview onto Highway 541 / 40 and go up through Kananaskis country to Highway #1 just west of Calgary.

A fair amount of driving but definitely doable in 3 days. You'll miss the icefields but you can't have everything. You will see a lot that most tourists don't because they are tied in to the usual route.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
10,920 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving in the Rockies

I really like Redtrail's suggestion.. we were in that area last year and really enjoyed it.

Another option if you really want to do the Ice Fields parkway is day 1 drive to Banff and head up the IFP to Jasper.. do your o/n in Jasper, in am visit area.. Maligne canyon then in afternoon drive back down the IFP to Banff.evening and o/n Banff next day Banff then in late evening drive back to Calgary.. the above assumes you only have 2 nights to spend plus your 3rd night in Calgary.

I prefer Jasper to Banff..also Radium is lovely.

You could also head for Radium and then up to Banff and then back to Calgary....

finally you should post in the Alberta forum as all your travels for this part of your trip will be in Alberta

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,260 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving in the Rockies

G'day AmIMadOrWhat,

Yes you are. It can be done though. Please post on the Alberta forum though, and mention your arrival and departure times in Calgary. I would forget any deviation as mentioned at post #2,with respect to the poster, the usual tourist route is so popular because it is the best bits.

5. Re: driving in the Rockies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 08:29