We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking 80 year old mom to watch Fireworks after dinner

San Jose
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Taking 80 year old mom to watch Fireworks after dinner

My mom is celebrating her 80th birthday in Vancouver

on Aug 6. We just learned that it coincides with

the Celebration of Lights Festival and would love to take her

to see it since she loves fireworks!!

We have a big family of 30+ travelling from San Francisco

Bay Area for her birthday as a family vacation.

However, we have already planned a big

banquet for her in Richmond. Even if we have an early

start, we can only get out of Richmond at 9pm.

I know the fireworks start at 10.

Is there any way we can watch the fireworks, perhaps

not from the best spots?

We're willing to splurge to charter a bus transfer if

necessary so we can get to the vicinity quicker

and don't have to worry about parking.

Does anyone have any suggestion for a route

we should take that's not closed and allow us

to have a reasonable viewing spot after dropping off?

My mom won't be able to walk non-stop for 20 minutes

to get closer after being dropped off, but it may be possible for us to push her in a wheelchair if necessary if route

is not completely packed.

Is it even possible to leave Richmond at 9pm

and get close enough to any viewing spots?

Thanks in advance! It would be a perfect ending for the celebration!!

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Richmond
Richmond
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
9,244 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking 80 year old mom to watch Fireworks after dinner

Very very tough with that timeline-I live in the area crowds ebb & flow through and the fireworks shake my house (literally).

In theory it would be possible to enter the area south of the fireworks-known as Kitsilano-right @ 9:30 and head to a reserved spot-but there are none on this side of the water.Forget going anywhere on the West End side of the water unless you're really lucky/sneaky and reserve a hotel room with a view somewhere and have a cool slick organised driver who understands your needs.

One idea is to contact local charter boat companies and arrange to be picked up somewhere like the dock @ the Maritime Museum-there were some reserved spots for boats there last year not sure of details maybe it was connected with a catered event.

http://www.pacificyellowfin.com/ had a shuttle operating for their guests last year and the ship stayed in the same spot for the duration of the event not sure where they were picking up though-this is important since the water is crazy crowded with moored boats and it's dark-any movement is slow and cautious.

Or rent a helicopter for just a few folks & the birthday girl.

Edited: 07 May 2011, 23:45
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
9,244 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking 80 year old mom to watch Fireworks after dinner

Oops-can't edit-check to see if the Maritime Museum is doing any reserved spots on their back deck-I know they do have their parking lot blocked off for one reason or other.

http://www.vancouvermaritimemuseum.com/

Ditto the Vancouver Museum a football field away.

http://www.museumofvancouver.ca/

Edited: 07 May 2011, 23:50
Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
2,083 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking 80 year old mom to watch Fireworks after dinner

You can now buy premium seats for the fireworks for $35. If you leave at 9PM and take a taxi down, you should be able to make it in time.

http://www.vancouverfireworks.ca/bleachers

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
64,268 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking 80 year old mom to watch Fireworks after dinner

Hi bleongca ~

My first thought is to try to book a room at the Sylvia Hotel with a street front, higher floor room. I know that some rooms for these nights are booked a year ahead. But your mom wouldn't have to walk anywhere unless she wanted to. You would just return to the hotel from your dinner.

The 3 fireworks nights are quite popular here and bring out big crowds. There are upwards of 200,000 people spread around English Bay. The West End is closed to all but local traffic from about 1.5 km away which is a 15 minute walk. I'm not sure if taxis can get through. Others can comment on that. People stretch out along the waterfront from English Bay to Sunset Beach.

Another good viewing area is Kitsilano Point. Again access is closed to all but local traffic from about half a km away and 6 minutes walk. People park their cars up to a km away and walk down to the waterfront. But this might be the easiest side to access along Cornwall St. with a charter bus, or even limos. One intersection for Kits Point is Cornwall and Chestnut.

People tend to arrive about 6 pm and set up on the grass, with picnics etc. There will be porta-potties available, some with extra space for wheelchair access. The fireworks start about 10 and last for about half an hour. Then 200,000 people will be leaving the area!!

This year, I believe, they are offering paid bleacher seating on the English Bay side of the water.

They may have partnered with some hotels for accommodation, not sure.

http://www.vancouverfireworks.ca/

Edited: 08 May 2011, 00:10
Mentioned in this post
Sylvia Hotel
Sylvia Hotel
1,568 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
English Bay
English Bay
2,416 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking 80 year old mom to watch Fireworks after dinner

There is no way you could leave richmond and get to a good viewing area with a person who cannot walk for 20mins if you leave at 9pm and want to have a good time. Downtown the streets are all closed so you cannot get in there anyway and kits may have closer access but I suspect it will be crowded as well. You should try to find a way to leave earlier if possible in my opinion.

6. Re: Taking 80 year old mom to watch Fireworks after dinner

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2012, 20:17