We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking at Stanley Park and tour the park and downtown

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
The Woodlands, Texas
1 post
Save Topic
Parking at Stanley Park and tour the park and downtown

My hotel is at airport. I am planning for our family of 4 visiting Stanley Park and downtown area. I do have option of taking canada line or drive and park at standley Park directly. Parking a whole day in Stanley park is only $10 and applicable to any parking location in the Park. The park is so big that it is difficult to walk around easily. Either I need rent 4 bikes for all of us or I can just drive the family to several attractions conveniently with the car then walk around. I know downtown parking is expensive but parking at Stanley park seems economical. So I simply leave the car at south end of the park and walk to downtown. I heard break-in do happen in downtown. Does this idea making any sense ?

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking at Stanley Park and tour the park and downtown

The two main attractions in the park are the seawall and the aquarium. The aquarium will take 2-3 hours and if you walk around the seawall that's another 1-2 hour. You can leave your car by the south end but it's a good 20-30 minute walk to downtown. Parking is only expensive in certain areas of downtown, if you park a bit further away it's much cheaper. Break ins happen everywhere not just downtown, just don't leave anything of value in your car.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
287 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking at Stanley Park and tour the park and downtown

You have another option: take the Canada Line to downtown, rent bikes, and get around and see downtown Vancouver that way, including Stanley Park. Vancouver is a very bike-friendly city.

Downtown proper is a good 20-minute walk from Stanley Park; you can still do it, but you might want to cycle, bus, or cab to downtown to save your energy for sight-seeing (though the walk along Coal Harbour is very scenic). There are some parking garages offering all-day rates pretty close to the $10 you quote for SP, so that's not your only option.

Car theft (both types--from the car and of the car) are both, sadly, rather common in Vancouver. But that doesn't mean it happens to every resident and visitor. If you park downtown, leave absolutely nothing in the car, and leave the glove compartment open just to emphasize this fact. Make sure you lock everything, too. If the car stereo has a removable face plate, take it with you.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,193 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking at Stanley Park and tour the park and downtown

There is a link at the bottom of this website for where safe parking lots are located.

http://www.saferparkingvancouver.com/

4. Re: Parking at Stanley Park and tour the park and downtown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 21:16