We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Advise

Westchester, NY
Level Contributor
45 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Advise

Hi, I'm visiting Vancouver for 2-3 days. I will be arriving around 11am. Then our plan is to settle in at the hotel and visit Stanley Park. Then walk around chinatown/gastown in the evening and for dinner. Next morning we want to visit the suspension bridge. Then spend time in Granville Island.

We're also thinking of visting the vancouver Art gallery or the Anthropology museum in the day time. Then on our last day which is July 1st we have a train back in the evening. Are there any actvities going on downtown?

Any must see sights we missed in our agenda? Please share your insight. Thank you!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,322 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Advise

Hi mini_doll

You could easily spend a good half/three quarters of a day in Stanley Park: biking the seawall, visiting the Aquarium, doing a HOHO bus tour. I would suggest you rethink Chinatown and Gastown in the evening for dinner. Chinatown shops close about 5 pm. Gastown is a little more lively and there are some new and high end restaurants/pubs there.

You could also spend a couple of hours at Granville Island. I would suggest you consider visiting the Maritime Museum which is a reasonable walk from Granville Island.

www.vancouvermaritimemuseum.com/page216.htm

For the Art Gallery, if you are here on a Tuesday, admission after 5 pm is by donation.

The Museum of Anthropology is at UBC which is a 30 minute bus ride away from downtown Vancouver. It's well worth the trip and you could spend perhaps 2 hours there.

July 1st will have quite a bit of activity going on. This website has a comprehensive list.

venturevancouver.com/blog/canada-day-july-1-…

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,974 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Advise

Chinatown is fine during the day but the shops are closed at 6PM with only a few restaurants open. Gastown is fine for dinner, there are a lot of restaurants/bars there. Supposedly it will be the next Yaletown.

I would go to either Chinatown/Granville Island after you check in for lunch. Then the next day (depending on weather) either walk or rent a bike and go around the sea wall at Stanley Park.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,427 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Advise

Agreed about Chinatown and Gastown by evening. They're not the most pleasant places to be in the evening, to be frank. Okay, maybe that's not fair, but there are better options for your evenings elsewhere in Vancouver.

Nothing's going to be open in Chinatown by evening - the only people there will be homeless or drug addicts, and the occasional tourist wondering why they're strolling around Chinatown by evening.

Gastown is better than Chinatown, especially if you only stick to Water Street, but I would only recommend Gastown in the evening if you're seeking bars and pubs and good cocktails. People typically go to Gastown to do bar crawls or to seek specific restaurants out. Othewise, there's not a whole lot to see and experience by evening. It's not somewhere I'd go to windowshop, but I'll gladly go to Gastown to meet up with friends for drinks. It's that kind of place.

If you want somewhere to go that's enjoyable by evening, go towards the water - that's where Vancouver comes to life by evening. English Bay/Denman Street - that's where you'll want to stroll around by evening. Kitsilano Beach and Cornwall/Yew - that's where you'll want to be in the evening, if you want to feel at ease and on vacation. The seawall from Yaletown to English Bay is yet another place. Even Robson Street has its shops open until 9pm and can be more lively.

A favourite evening stroll is to walk from Yaletown along the False Creek seawall to English Bay. Have coffee/dessert at a shop on Denman Street... walk up Denman to Robson... walk along the length of Robson to Homer Street, and walk back down Homer to Yaletown. That can be done leisurely in about 2-3 hours.

Edited: 08 June 2011, 04:55
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Advise

Excellent advise Robin! You've made some great suggestions. It seems that the Capilano Suspension Bridge has a new (open June 3) round partially glass platform you can stand on; you wouldn't catch me on it but some may like it. :-) I personally like other areas better than Gastown for evenings but I'm no longer a young whipper-snapper.

http://www.capbridge.com/cliffhanger.php

5. Re: Itinerary Advise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 18:20