We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on Itinerary please !!!

Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Advice on Itinerary please !!!

Hello everyone. My wife and I are in our forties and are visiting Vancouver for the first time. We are staying from June 20th, leaving on the 24th at the St. Regis Hotel. We have book the following tours, please let me know if we are missing any must see attraction.

- arrived on the 20th around 3 p.m. Check in and thinking of going to china town to have dinner there.

- 21th at 2 p.m., Vancouver City Highlights tour with Landsea Tours & Adventures.

- 22th at 11 a.m., North Shore tour with Landsea Tours & Adventure.

- 23rd at 11:00 a.m., Vancouver Coal Harbour & West End Tour with the Tour Guys

we do have sometime each day to browse around some more by ourselves, please advice.

Thank you for your time

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,992 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on Itinerary please !!!

ChinaTown is not the restaurant area it used to be. I can't think of one I'd recommend except maybe http://www.wildricevancouver.com/ which is just the St Regis side of ChinaTown. See the Top Question on the right of this page about seeing Vancouver by bike. I might even substitute that for the Coal Harbour/Westend commercial tour. Another thought, if you're boat inclined, is to rent a speedboat and tour the harbour and False Creek by water. http://www.boatrentalsvancouver.com/

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on Itinerary please !!!

I would go to Chinatown for lunch not dinner before you go on your city highlights dinner. There is only a few places open for dinner in Chinatown. Wild Rice is a fusion restaurant so I wouldn't go there if you want some authentic Chinese food.

Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on Itinerary please !!!

Thanks guys for the info. What would you sudgess for a nice dinner option? Unfortunately, my wife does not ride bikes, but we will probaly look for a boating cruise. Any more suggestion will be appreciated. Thank you again :)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
287 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on Itinerary please !!!

How much are you looking to spend on dinner that first night? And what type of cuisine do you prefer?

If you are partial to seafood, Joe Fortes is my favourite splurge and is about 4-5 blocks from the St. Regis. My wife and I go there to celebrate special occasions. Expect to spend at least $75 per person.

The Steamworks Brewing Company is just three blocks down the street from the St. Regis and is casual and funky with good food and, of course, great beer. Gastown is just around the corner for a pleasant after-dinner stroll. Joey at the Bentall centre has similar menu options, but with fancier decor and no brew pub.

For a fancy Chinese restaurant, the Imperial Chinese in the Marine Building would be a good choice.

If you're on a budget, there's a White Spot only a block away... ;-)

Edited: 10 June 2011, 07:29
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,824 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on Itinerary please !!!

20th. From 3 pm you will have quite a bit of time. Consider taking the #19 bus ($2.50) along Pender and Georgia to Denman then walking to and around Lost Lagoon. This might take perhaps an hour. It's a flat, easy, enjoyable walk all the way and not something you see with Landsea. I would also suggest you skip Chinese and find a restaurant along Denman or Robson. There's a White Spot on Georgia at Cardero.

If you walked straight alongside Lost Lagoon to 2nd Beach, instead of around it, you could then walk along to English Bay which would put you in good position to walk Denman from the other end. There's the Boathouse Resto (nice patio overlooking the water) and Milestones at Denman and Davie.

21st. You might consider getting an early start and taking the #19 bus on Pender (11 minutes) right into Stanley Park and visiting the Aquarium for a couple of hours. Then the #19 bus back to the St. Regis in time for lunch nearby and your Landsea tour. Consider Cactus Club on Burrard @ Dunsmuir.

22nd. Your Grouse/Cap/Fish Hatcheries tour is perhaps 6 hours. So back by 3 pm or so. You might have liked Granville Island enough to revisit it. There's much more to it than the market. Mouseover the buildings on the following website to see what there is to see. I believe most of the shops close at 7 in the summer, although the restaurants will stay open later. You might also like to take a ride on one of the Granville Island ferries. You can take a "sightseeing tour" of False Creek rather than take the ferry for a single stop journey. Sunset in mid June is about 9:30 pm.

www.modeltrainsmuseum.ca/trains/about/map.cfm (the museum is permanently closed)

http://granvilleislandferries.bc.ca/

Your choice of tour by the Tour Guys is just great. I think the West End is full of treasures, from heritage houses to ambiance. And the views from Coal Harbour are impressive.

Here is a Harbour tour with an evening dinner cruise option. If the little harbour ferries don't fill the bill! :-)

http://www.boatcruises.com/tour.php?pv=p5

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
211 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on Itinerary please !!!

my husband & I planning a trip for 3 days in Sep, & your advise is great

we intend to do lots of walks - stanley park, gastown, Dr Sun yat Sen's .park & Museum of Anthropology at the Uni of BC.

I've read about Nat's New York Pizzaria at Denham Str in West End. Anyone knows more about this?

What's a moderately priced place to eat canadian salmon?

Thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,824 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on Itinerary please !!!

Hi blueborage ~

Pizzeria's abound in Vancouver, on every street corner. You will find a pizza to please you everywhere.

A moderately priced salmon meal to eat? Well White Spot has a (wild not farmed) salmon burger with Caesar salad for about $12.00 or so. To give you an idea of prices here for fish, fresh/frozen halibut and salmon can be $2.99 / 100 g or more to cook at home. Lean ground beef is about $6 / kg. Fish main dishes are generally priced proportionally higher than meat or chicken on menus. I think you will want to consider having a nice salmon meal and just paying for it.

Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on Itinerary please !!!

Wow, what an awesome forum with some awesome people. Thank you so, so much for the info guys, especially Mufti, my tour on the 22nd is 6 hours, and I won't get back till around 5 p.m., I was thinking of doing the ferry tour that night too. plenty of options to do. We will probably so a sitting down dinner 1 night, and casual dinner other nights. Hope the rain stops when we get there :). Once again, thank you for all your time and efforts.

Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice on Itinerary please !!!

Hello Mufti,

I was thinking of the taking the sunset dinner cruise the first night there. Am also consider on the 22nd too, I have to be at the dock by 6:30, it might cut it a little too tight, what do you think? I really like your idea of walking around lost lagoon the first night though. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,824 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice on Itinerary please !!!

Hi Kevntw ~

Sorry, for some reason I was thinking 9h00 + 6 = 15h00.

First thought? take the dinner cruise on the first available nice day. If that's the 20th go for it. Weather changes around here. (Even when it's been either raining or overcast (since May 1) it's still changeable between the two!)

As for getting to the Harbour Cruise marina on the 22nd, which is at the foot of Denman St., you could always tell the driver you want to get off Landsea at the Westin Bayshore and just walk over to the boat. From the Bayshore, you head for the water and walk along Coal Harbour seawall west to the Harbour Cruises wharf, about 500 m. Dress will be tourist casual. Well, maybe not flip flops and shorts. You could go back to your own hotel at 5 and then get to the boat by 6:30. It's still rush hour and Georgia St. would be slow at that time so a taxi might cost $15.

Or from the Bayshore, you could just walk up Denman for a stroll to use the time well. When you get to Robson St. turn west and stroll around the residential streets before heading to the Harbour Cruise wharf. It's very pleasant in there "west of Denman."

Also, on Tuesday nights, the Vancouver Art Gallery is open on Tuesdays until 9, by donation. They have a great gift shop. Check out the upper level Gallery cafe, with outdoor patio seating and often live music entertainment.

On the 23rd, the Tour Guys will be over in 90 min. You might consider heading for the North Shore for the afternoon and Lynn Canyon Park. That's pretty easy to do on the Seabus (cheap 15 min ride across the harbour) and the #229 bus from Lonsdale Quay. Let me know if you're interested in that. I'm off now for the day.

http://www.dnv.org/ecology/park_trails.html

Edited: 10 June 2011, 19:40