We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport from airport to New Westminster on Sunday

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Helensvale...
Level Contributor
335 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Transport from airport to New Westminster on Sunday

Hi, arriving in Vancouver on a Sunday morning, looking at FareSaver tickets for our journey to Columbia Station and back to airport on a Thursday evening. Is it correct that our fare to Columbia would only be $2.50 each(Sunday) if we bought the FareSaver ticket. Will probably buy Day Pass for day trips. Question is will a save anything by buying FareSaver tickets and what zone would I need? If I don't buy FareSaver it will cost us $7.50 each ($5 add on) on the Sunday. Someone may have done the calculations already. Thanks in advance.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,868 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport from airport to New Westminster on Sunday

Sunday Faresaver is $2.10 all zones. You take Canada Line to Waterfront and Skytrain to Columbia Station. Ticket is good for 90 minutes of transfers.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,201 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport from airport to New Westminster on Sunday

Hi sue ~

Yes, the fare from YVR to Columbia Station on a Sunday would be cash $2.50 with a $5.00 surcharge, for the pleasure of leaving the airport any time any day. On a Sunday, that distance is considered a 1 zone fare.

Faresavers: With a faresaver ticket or a day pass, you do not pay the surcharge from the airport. On weekends and on weekdays after 6:30 pm, the greater Vancouver area is one zone and costs $2.50 anywhere on busses, skytrain and seabus. On weekdays before 6:30 pm, you have to pay a fare according to the number of zones you travel. From New West to Vancouver, it is a 2 zone fare. On your Thursday journey (if before 6:30 pm,) from Columbia Station to YVR, it is a 2 zone fare.

Each ticket, paid by cash, or faresaver is good for 90 minutes once it is validated in the validation machine.

By buying Faresavers, you save a bit. $2.50 cash for a single zone, but $21.50 for a book of 10. Therefore a single zone faresaver would reduce to $2.15. Similarly for the 2 zone Faresaver booklets. It's a bit of a break.

When you are considering a day pass. Consider how many trips you would take. You would need to make three 2-zone rides over a day or four 1-zone rides over a day to make a day pass pay for itself.

Believe it or not, the best/fastest way from YVR to Columbia Station is to go right into the city first, but because you're dealing with Canada Line and skytrains, you would move along pretty quickly. Below is the route map. Go right into Waterfront Station on the Canada Line. At Waterfront, walk in the direction of the front of the train through the tunnel and up into the main hall of the old CPR Station. Walk diagonally across to Starbucks. Go through the swinging glass doors adjacent and turn immediately left. Go down the escalator (there is an elevator) to the skytrain platform and take either of the two skytrains to Columbia station. One is called King George Station I think. The other is called something like VCC Clark.

You will have to decide how many 1 zone faresavers you will use and/or how many 2 zones. You might be quite content to just buy a book of 2 zones and use them whenever you need them, keep it simple. Another option is to buy a book of 1 zones and add $1.25 in cash to the tickets to top them up to 2 zones if you need to.

http://tinyurl.com/6j274ss

Edited: 13 June 2011, 18:27
Helensvale...
Level Contributor
335 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport from airport to New Westminster on Sunday

Thank you so much, wasn't sure how many zones from airport to New Westminster and there to downtown. We save $10 straight off by buying a faresaver 1 zone. We use 1 ticket each on Sunday and Thursday evening to and from the airport. Can also use 1 zone on Sunday (after checking in and resting) to go anywhere. That leaves 4 tickets left which we could add cash to make 2 or 3 zones for another day. With the 90 minutes time factor, are you covered as long as you are on before the time is up, not off the train? Is there a zone map that makes it clear where the zones are? For sightseeing all day/night I like the day pass as time isn't a factor. When I used the calculator/itinerary from airport to Columbia Station it said the quickest more direct route was Canada Line, bus 100, Expo Line. I guess it depends on the traffic in the morning! Just another question, I gather we can use a bank at the airport when we arrive, are they open 24 hours or will it be open at 7:30am? Thanks again.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport from airport to New Westminster on Sunday

The only bank I'm aware of is Royal Bank but I don't think it's open 24/7. There are atm machines you can use. It would be faster as suggested by Translink to take the Canada Line then 100 bus then Expo/Milleunium Line to Columbia Station. There will be very little traffic on Sunday morning and the bus leaves every 15 minutes so not a long wait.

Link to Zone Map, Columbia Station is in zone 2 and Vancouver is Zone 1.

translink.ca/en/…Fare-Zone-Map.aspx

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,201 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport from airport to New Westminster on Sunday

Your validated ticket is good for 90 minutes, including transfers, on busses, skytrain, Canada Line and Seabus.

The #100 bus will give you 7 minutes less travel time but more handling of luggage. I would certainly not discourage you from going that route. Just know that it is a bus, with a little less room for luggage, and stops at many stops if necessary. It's true that on a Sunday, pax pickup will probably be low. The mostly aerial skytrain ride from Waterfront might actually be a bit of a sightseeing activity on its own. Perhaps see how you feel when you get here.

I would agree with Techboy about using an ATM to get cash. It will most likely be given in twenties. Really gives the best rate and is convenient. Use your bank debit card with a matching logo to the machine, not your credit card.

I would suggest you each change $100 or so into Canadian before you leave. It's really the last thing you need to be searching for: an ATM or the bank which is in the domestic terminal,5- 8 min walk away. Request some small bills, say a few $5s. You might have to pre-order and wait a day or two for your request to me met. But I have found that the peace of mind when I travel is well worth it. Just put "debit or credit cards" into the search bar for the Vancouver Forum or British Columbia Forum for previous discussions.

Helensvale...
Level Contributor
335 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport from airport to New Westminster on Sunday

Thank you for your quick responses. I've been using the trip planner on the transport site and my question is all tickets are for only 90 minutes (except day ticket) is that right? I logged a trip from New WM to Lynn Canyon on Sunday and it said $2.50 but the trip was 2 hours! The return trip was 1hr 19m so that would be $2.50 on Sunday.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport from airport to New Westminster on Sunday

Yes the ticket is good for 90 minutes on all forms of transport. Sunday service is obviously less than M-F, so I would go to Lynn Canyon on Monday or Tuesday if the weather is still ok. I wouldn't worry about taking the bus, all our buses are step free and will lower down to the curb if necessary.

You'll be out of the airport by 9 at the latest, your stop is number 7 from the departure point. I doubt the bus will be that packed.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,868 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transport from airport to New Westminster on Sunday

90 minutes to get on the system so if you are on two hours you are fine. The top up machines from one zone to two zones take credit cards too. I would avoid the 100 bus and stay on Canada Line to Waterfront then Skytrain to Columbia. The zones are clearly marked on the ticket machines. The one zone faresaver is $21 for ten tickets and some ticket sellers take credit cards. Oh and there's a good Italian restaurant called Aldo's on Columbia as you exit.

Helensvale...
Level Contributor
335 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transport from airport to New Westminster on Sunday

I'm spending way too much time and your time over this faresaver and Sunday tickets.

If I buy 1 Zone Faresaver on Sunday we can get to our accommodation in New Westminster from the airport for 1 ticket each. Later on Sunday we can go to Lynn Canyon with 1 zone ticket each or use another ticket if we don't get there within 90 minutes or do we pay cash for extra? The 90 minutes starts when we validate the ticket (before we get on Skytrain) and we can transfer within the 90 minutes.

Monday-Friday during the day how many zones is it from New Westminster to Lynn Canyon? 2 or 3 each way? Sorry to keep asking questions just want to get my head around it.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,201 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transport from airport to New Westminster on Sunday

Sue - If you travel from New Westminster to Lynn Canyon and it takes 2 hours, you may have trouble transferring to the last bus, the #229, because you must insert your ticket into the top of the fare box on the bus and it will not be accepted after 90 minutes. But if you're on a bus before 90 minutes you can ride to the end of your ride on that ticket. No one is going to check your ticket at minute 91. You just won't be able to get on a fresh bus. I have looked at Translink's 2 options for Sunday and both will have the same "transfer to the last bus" problem. On a weekday you can do the same journey, with several travel route options from 1 hour to 1 hour 30 min.

Of course, another option on a Sunday on the way to LCPark, is to simply pay another faresaver ticket on the #229 bus, if the bus won't accept your ticket. On the way back, you will likely be on the skytrain well within the 90 minutes and you're good to go there.