We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bowen Island

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
70 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Bowen Island

I will be in Canada Sept/Oct travelling through the Rockies and then to Whistler.I will be spending my last day in Vancouver before flying back to UK.Instead of spending my last precious few hours in the city I wondered about going to Bowen Island.Not having the use of a car I wondered if it would be easy to see various places of interest once I got off the ferry?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,614 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bowen Island

It's a small island. Beautiful but in my opinion...the trip there is most of the fun. There are a few shops but island fever hits me after an hour there. If you are into long walks....then yes for sure go. Tranquil.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,155 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bowen Island

The trip over is wonderful - it's hard to believe that you are so close to a city. Where you get off the ferry is Snug Cove. There are some shops and eateries near the ferry dock. Up the hill is Artisan Square, also with some shops and eateries, including an artisan chocolate outlet. For a walk, there is Crippen Regional Park with a circuit you can do, if time permits.

Speaking of time, do keep an eye on it. I understand from your post that this would be on the day you leave to fly back to the UK. To get to YVR from Bowen, you would need to take the ferry back to Horseshoe Bay, catch the 257 downtown express from Horseshoe Bay and then the Canada Line to YVR. If all connections go OK, I would allow at least 2 1/2 hours to get to YVR. (BTW, what will you be doing with your luggage? Will you need to allow time to pick it up somewhere before you head to the airport?)

Another place, if you are looking for something to do on that last day, is Steveston in Richmond. It's a former fishing village that, over the years, became amalgamated with the City of Richmond. There are shops, restaurants, a park (Garry Point) and a lovely walk down the Fraser River to Britannia Shipyards, which has some buildings of historical interest. The advantage is that YVR is also in Richmond. So, you can more easily get to the airport via taxi or public transportation. You're not quite as far away as at Bowen. (However, again, what about the luggage? Will you need to return downtown to get it, in which case Bowen might be better?)

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,753 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bowen Island

agreed the ferry trip is beautiful and the best part, there are trails in Crippen Park if that appeals to you

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
70 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bowen Island

Thanks for your suggestions.Itchyfeet090 sorry to confuse,it is my last full day in Canada and I will be leaving the following morning so no worries about luggage.I will shed a tear or two as I will hate to leave.

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,753 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bowen Island

i like Steveston as a destination too, but to clarify it still is a fishing village, not like inn days of yore but a fishing village nonetheless

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,155 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bowen Island

Thanks, Chris, that will give you a more relaxed day. Have you seen the hellobc.com website on Bowen -

hellobc.com/en-CA/…BowenIsland.htm

Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,614 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bowen Island

Pajos. Fish and chips.....ok I know where I'm heading for dinner with the fam

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,717 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bowen Island

Bowen? Aside from a few walks less spectacular than many closer to the city, I can't think of a reason to go. There is a water taxi service from Granville Island as well as the 20 minute ferry ride.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,028 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bowen Island

Bowen is something of a distant suburb of West Vancouver-pleasant enough but not remarkable.

As mentioned http://www.eblaunch.com/

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,822 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bowen Island

I'm going to put it this way. Bowen is nice. I really like it there for a few hours on foot. There are a few shops and eateries in Snug Cove and lots of trees. Once you're in the trees, you're in the trees. The ferry ride is 20 minutes one way and is lovely. The Rockies are so much better, followed by Whistler.

IMO, to go to Bowen on your last day, after such a great holiday, is to settle for a Sainsbury fish and chips ready meal compared to a meal at Wackers in York. (I can use TA just fine!) It's fine (for scenery) in a pinch, but a shadow of the real deal.

So, I would also support going to Steveston because it's easily walkable, there are any number of attractions, interesting things to see and its handy to Vancouver.

Here's some transit information, although if you're talking a Sunday, the schedule will be less frequent.

Take Canada Line to Brighouse Station, transfer to either #401 One Road (returns as #401 Garden City) or #410 Railway (returns as 22nd St.) and ride straight to Steveston. About 1 hour. The bus frequency is between 8 - 12 minutes depending on the time of day.

http://www.steveston.bc.ca/activities.html

http://www.steveston.bc.ca/map_large.jpg (you'll see the bus icon on Chatham @ 2nd)

hellobc.com/en-CA/…Richmond.htm

www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/bc/georgia/index.aspx (open 10-5 daily, all year)

Steveston: viddler.com/explore/MikesRoadTrip/videos/28/ (The poor bloke mispronounces Fraser River, rhymes with laser)

And here's a very effective and quick look at the ferry to Bowen and a bit of the main street/village.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vir3Rc11-cE

If it rains? You would have more opportunity to get in out of the rain in Steveston. Take an umbrella in any event.

Maybe once you have experienced the Rockies, you will have a better idea of whether or not you want to go to Bowen.

Edited: 26 June 2011, 21:00