We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused about Canada Line fare

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Confused about Canada Line fare

Hi there!

I am arriving at Vancouver International Airport on a Saturday afternoon and wanted to take the Canada Line to downtown. On the trip planner tool of translink, I am quoted $7.50 for a one way fare. I assumed that includes the $5 surcharge so normal ticket price would be $2.50 indicating a 1 zone ticket. On the TA help section on how to get from the airport to downtown Vancouver it says a ticket is $8.75 indicating a 2 zone fare. The trip planner tool explains that the type of ticket depends on the zone borders you cross - so 1 zone border to get from the airport zone to downtown, so $2.50. But that seems weird, having lived in London I am used to paying for the zones I travel in, not the amount of times I cross a zone...

I want to get a faresaver book so not sure now which zones to get. Can you guys help?

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,158 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused about Canada Line fare

The discrepancy will be due to the time of day you are travelling.From the airport to downtown is 2 zone but fares are lower ( 2.50) after 6:30 and on Sundays ( (and maybe on Saturdays) can't remember right now.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,645 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confused about Canada Line fare

After 6:30 pm and on weekends, all three zones here are considered 1 zone and a 1 zone fare applies = $2.50. You are right about the $7.50 from YVR on your Saturday = $2.50 + $5.00 surcharge.

On weekdays before 6:30 pm, the fares for travelling in 2 zones applies. Therefore $3.75. (Those travelling from the airport on a weekday would pay $3.75 + $5.00.)

There is no surcharge applied to return to the airport.

Here is the zones map. Travelling in 2 colours will be 2 zones. Travelling in 3 colours will be 3 zones. If you travel in 2 colours before 6:30 pm, it's a 2 zone fare. If you travel in 3 colours, before 6:30pm, you will pay a 3 zone fare. After 6:30 pm and on weekends/holidays, the zones are a moot point as all are considered 1 zone for fare purposes.

translink.ca/en/…Fare-Zone-Map.aspx

On a weekend, you could travel from Richmond to Vancouver to North Vancouver/West Vancouver for $2.50. 3 geographic regions but 2 fare zones because of travelling in only red and yellow.

It looks as though you will be arriving for the majority of a weekend. If this is the case, you might get a booklet of 1 zone Faresavers. 10 tickets - 10 trips for one, 5 trips for two.

If you will be using some transit on weekdays, in 2 zones (say going between Vancouver and North Vancouver for Cap Bridge and Grouse,) you could top up a 1 zone faresaver with $1.25 cash -- in the ticket machine next to the driver or at the Seabus ticket vending machines. I would think you would take one day only to visit North Vancouver, so the "top up a 1 zone ticket" might be the way to go as the rest of your sightseeing would likely be within the Vancouver 1 zone fare area.

Having said that there are free shuttles to Grouse and to Cap Bridge from downtown Vancouver. See their respective websites. Free is always appealing, but it's a purpose built journey and you would miss the "local" aspect of travelling on the Seabus/bus.

With the faresavers you will not pay the $5.00 surcharge from the airport.

One ticket is good for 90 minutes on all transit. A $9 day pass would work well if you were doing a return transit trip within Vancouver over 2+ hours in the morning and then going out later to do another return transit trip over 2+ hours. Four 1 zone fares would cost $10, so you would be saving a dollar with a day pass.

London
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confused about Canada Line fare

Ahhhhh thank you, that clarifies it all.... I knew the zone prices are the same after 6.30pm but I failed to notice this also applies on weekends and I am arriving on a weekend...I will probably get the 1 zone fare saver book as I am also spending some days in Vancouver at the end of my trip which will also be a weekend.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
575 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Confused about Canada Line fare

One zone tickets start at 6:30 pm Friday night and are valid until 6 am Monday morning when again the two zone tickets kick in. If you purchase faresavers you will not have to pay the $5 luggage surcharge from the airport into Vancouver.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Confused about Canada Line fare

Above post is incorrect. Mufti has already explained it in post 2.

Just to recap. One zone fares for the whole system applies M-F after 6:30PM and on weekends/holidays.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
2,991 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Confused about Canada Line fare

I would recommend getting the 1 zone fare save book. You do not have to pay the $5 fee at the airport with faresaver tickets. And you can easily upgrade the 1 zone to 2 or 3 zone at the machines when you travel, if you choose to travel out of the zone for any trip.

7. Re: Confused about Canada Line fare

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 12:16