We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vancouver surrounding areas

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
england
Level Contributor
14 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
vancouver surrounding areas

I am coming through Vancouver next June but do not want to stay in the city so what areas surrounding of Vancouver would anyone suggest to stay in i.e. Port Moody,Coquitlam etc....the thing is we are in the process of residency so hopefully would like to stay somewhere we may end up living one day:)

we still want to have easy access to the city via the light rail or bus!!

thanks in advance.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,838 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vancouver surrounding areas

It may help you to organize by transit options by which you could look around for a place to stay.

There is an article in the Travel Guide in the sidebar to the left about public transit:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154943-s303/Vancouve…

For bus routes, you have two options: 1) use the www.translink.ca trip planner to enter intersections or addresses to see what busses service an area, or 2) use maps.google.com with their get direction feature. Just set the icon on transit and you will find bus routes provided.

For now, this would give you an idea of the lay of the land.

Port Moody is quite nice and served by the West Coast Express and the #135 bus right into Vancouver. Port Coquitlam has a couple of stations on the Millenium Line. Burnaby, New Westminster and Surrey are served by the Expo Line and Richmond is served by Canada Line.

This may get you started.

england
Level Contributor
14 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vancouver surrounding areas

thank for your reply....what i really need to know is what area is nicer to be based:)

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,717 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: vancouver surrounding areas

North Vancouver is the easiest commute especially by Seabus.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
575 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: vancouver surrounding areas

A fair number of people from England have settled in the White Rock, Ocean Park, Crescent Beach area of south Surrey. Transit is quite good as long as you are living close to the main streets where the buses run. There are a fair number of B&B's in the area, but not many hotels. There is one hotel but it is not on a bus line. Shopping is good in the area as well. Lots of walks to take as well and good recreation centres.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,198 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: vancouver surrounding areas

I was going to suggest White Rock as well, but its a fairly good run into town from there. But its a destination onto itself and its lovely around there. Areas of Langley are also really nice - there's some accommodation options around Fort Langley I think. Port Moody is lovely, but a bit tight for accommodation. Coquitlam has more accommodation, but the hotels are not situated in particularly nice areas (I mean commercial and not very scenic, there's nothing wrong with the neighbourhoods themselves). Burnaby might have some options too, and I might look at the Steveston area in Richmond, although again that's not particularly good for a run into town on transit.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
575 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: vancouver surrounding areas

45 minutes into Vancouver downtown using transit from White Rock. Comfortable buses too and the scenery on the trip is pleasant to watch.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
6,945 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: vancouver surrounding areas

Unlike many large cities, most of Vancouver's residential neighbourhoods are actually quite suburban by nature... large, single family homes on tree lined streets, not unlike the suburbs Coquitlam, Burnaby, Port Moody, etc. Don't discount Vancouver just so quickly, I suppose. But even Coquitlam, North Vancouver, etc. - they're all cities, just satellite cities surrounding Vancouver.

However, if you must, if you don't want to stay in the actual city of Vancouver but outside of the city, I'd choose somewhere like Burnaby or Richmond.

Edited: 20 July 2011, 23:20
Port Coquitlam...
Level Contributor
108 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: vancouver surrounding areas

Port Coquitlam does not have skytrain. It is served by the west coast express though. Lovely place to live and somewhat cheaper, great for mountains, hiking, lakes etc. Small town feel. At least an hour into downtown Vancouver via car. Same with Port Moody but it has a more "expensive uptown" feel to it.

Personally, if you're visiting I'd stay somewhere served by skytrain. Burnaby Lougheed Mall area, New West even, or along the Expo and Millenium routes. For living, really deoends where you're working and how long a commute you want. It's not uncommon for many people to spend 2 hours a day commuting so they can afford a home. Vancouver is an extremely expensive place to live.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,155 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: vancouver surrounding areas

Unfortunately, the transit situation from White Rock has changed. You can no longer take a bus from White Rock to downtown. The buses go only as far as the Canada Line Bridgeport Station and then you get on the Canada Line to go downtown. I'm not sure how much time this change adds to the overall trip. (This also applies to buses from Ladner and Tsawwassen. They also terminate at the Bridgeport Station now.)

england
Level Contributor
14 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: vancouver surrounding areas

thanks to all that replied but we are going to stay in Port Moody as have found a beautiful B&B there and have some freinds that we can visit out there!!! :)