We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe cheap parking for a motorcycle Burrard and Nelson

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg
Level Contributor
149 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Safe cheap parking for a motorcycle Burrard and Nelson

I will be visiting Vancouver by motorcycle. I need to spend a number of hours near Burrard and Nelson. The bike will not have valuables inside the compartments. Afternoon and evening. Weekday. I'll depart before it is late

Is parking in this area safe for a bike?

Anywhere cheap someone would recommend? i found a place for $7 an hour online. Seems steep to me. Google maps shows some street metres. How do they work? By coin or credit card. What is the max i can put into the metre?

Thankyou

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe cheap parking for a motorcycle Burrard and Nelson

Here is the link regarding parking meters.

vancouver.ca/engsvcs/…meters.htm

You could also park for free in the West End, might be easier to find parking since it's a motorcycle. Just make sure the parking sign isn't residents only and no hour restrictions. The west end starts at Burrard and goes westward.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,952 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe cheap parking for a motorcycle Burrard and Nelson

First of all parking is really expensive here. The parking tax tripled recently, so you can expect to be shocked.

Parking for bikes is as safe as it is for cars. We have rush hour from 3:00 to 6? or so when you would have to clear the street or be ticketed and towed. Almost all the N-S streets would be cleared at 3.

There is generally a flat rate charge in off street lots after 6 pm.

Otherwise, as long as you keep coming back to feed the meter, in a permitted parking spot, you will be fine. Effective until 10 pm, 24/7.

You could actually consider St. Paul's Hospital parking, because they would likely have the lot patrolled, (Burrard and Helmcken) which has info here:

providencehealthcare.org/info_stpauls_parkin…

and the hospital provides even more parking info here:

…parkopedia.ca/parking/…

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,396 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe cheap parking for a motorcycle Burrard and Nelson

"as long as you keep coming back to feed the meter, in a permitted parking spot, you will be fine."

Not any more-meters are now good for 2 hours and that's it-there used to be a way to extend that to 4 hours but endlessly feeding a meter is no longer permitted.

Of course a lot depends on enforcement.

I agree that putting the bike in an underground lot is best but never cheap.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,952 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe cheap parking for a motorcycle Burrard and Nelson

Well, I'll be darned.

The City is your parking friend.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe cheap parking for a motorcycle Burrard and Nelson

You can extend meter parking to 4 hours by paying by cell phone. You can pay by credit card at the 300 new solar powered ones as well.

6. Re: Safe cheap parking for a motorcycle Burrard and Nelson

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 22:16