We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Celebration of Light

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Trumbull...
Level Contributor
645 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Celebration of Light

We will be in Vancouver (pre-cruise) on August 6, and I see the Celebration of Light will be going on. Will we be able to see fireworks even if we don't purchase tickets? If we DIDN'T want to see the fireworks, will this affect any sightseeing we want to do? Or, will places only getting crowded at night? I'm just not sure what this means for us?

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Celebration of Light

It's a free event unless you buy one of the reserved seats. The fireworks start at 10PM and last for about 30 minutes. Beside the fact that other tourists might be here for the fireworks, I doubt it will affect sightseeing.

Kawartha Lakes...
Level Contributor
220 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Celebration of Light

We will be there this weekend staying at the Fairmont Pacific Rim...will we be able to see the fireworks from the hotel area or will it be necessary to head along the seawall to Stanley Park?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
6,926 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Celebration of Light

The Fairmont Pacific Rim faces north towards Coal Harbour on Burrard Inlet. The Celebration of Light fireworks are lit from barges on English Bay which is located to the south-west. You won't be able to see the fireworks from the Fairmont Pacific Rim. I'd walk south along to Robson, head west up Robson to Denman Street, and then south down Denman Street to English Bay to watch them. The walk is easy - something you could leisurely walk in half an hour or less.

The reason why you wouldn't be able to see them from the Fairmont Pacific Rim is that there are hundreds of high-rises situated between Coal Harbour and English Bay - you'll hear the fireworks but won't be able to see anything.

Edited: 01 August 2011, 17:48
Kawartha Lakes...
Level Contributor
220 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Celebration of Light

Thanks!

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Celebration of Light

I personally wouldn't walk on Robson unless you like walking with a lot of other people. I would walk on either Hastings or Pender west until you reach Nicola St. You can then go all the way south on Nicola or join the masses on Robson and just follow everyone there to English Bay.

6. Re: Celebration of Light

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 21:18