We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best way from Seattle two people in their 60's

Council Bluffs, Iowa
Level Contributor
66 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
best way from Seattle two people in their 60's

Arriving Oct 1 into Seattle Airport around 10 a.m. What is the best way to get to Vancouver? Should we stay in Seattle that day? Will not have a car so am wondering about Amtrak? Quick Shuttle? Reasonable hotel suggestions for Downtown Vancouver? Will be heading to Seattle on October 4th and flying home on the 5th. Thinking of Vancouver to Seattle on the early Amtrak to enjoy Seattle a little so we know we need to make a reservation for that. Other than wanting to to take Amtrak to Seattle our short schedule is very fluid having never been to the beautiful city we are looking forward to our little get away.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,134 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best way from Seattle two people in their 60's

If you go to Seattle forum on top right there is a whole section of info on trips to Vancouver from Seattle. If you have limited time I'd suggest Amtrak bus over quickshuttle. It makes no stops other than the border and is pretty quick though the train will definitely be more scenic than the freeway. You can call 1-800-hello bc for hotels in Vancouver. Hotwire or Priceline also works well for this sort of thing.

Abbotsford, Canada
Level Contributor
237 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best way from Seattle two people in their 60's

Hello Mkjmitch,

If you don't mind sihgtseeing with your bags then you should take the last train to Vancouver at 6:50 pm the day you arrive ;)

I would spend the night in Seattle enjoy Seattle, its a very nice city. Take the train up in the morning, no border lineups to worry about.

Cheers

Chris

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,635 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best way from Seattle two people in their 60's

The Blue Horizon is often mentioned on here as a good budget hotel choice.

Council Bluffs, Iowa
Level Contributor
66 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best way from Seattle two people in their 60's

Thanks for the help.......we have so far today booked 3 nights in Vancouver at the Blue Horizon per recommendations on TripAdvisor. Will check out the other site and thinking the Amtrak bus will be the way we go to Vancouver and Amtrak train on the way back Tuesday morning. We'll have a nice amount of time to spend in Vancouver and then a day in Seattle since we both have been there before that will be sufficient for this trip. Pikes Market and maybe a afternoon ferry ride and a casual dinner. Now to book the hotel in Seattle and arrange the ground transportation.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,123 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best way from Seattle two people in their 60's

Hi mkjmitch ~

I would suggest you look into staying in Seattle for one night and taking the morning Cascades train up to Vancouver. The train is just so much more relaxing than one of the busses. More room, no stops at the border. The bus requires everyone to get off and go inside at the border for Customs processing, then back on the bus. You would have no idea of how many busses are doing the same thing at the same time.

SEATAC is about 30 minutes south of Seattle city. I know that there is light rail between SEATAC and the Amtrak Station, and probably downtown Seattle hotels. I'm not up on the hotel aspect of Seattle light rail. As David mentions, go to the Seattle forum and have a read through the Top Questions. Here's an TA thread from the Seattle forum about just this:

tripadvisor.com/…30749120

The benefit to the Quick Shuttle is it travels right from SEATAC to Vancouver. I think I read somewhere that it makes quite a few stops on the way.

Have the hotel store your luggage if you are too early to check in. Enjoy some of the sights of Seattle and be ready to get to the Amtrak Station in the morning. The train gets into Vancouver about 11:40 and you're then ready to go in Vancouver.

Then, if you felt you wanted more of Seattle after Vancouver, you could carry on with your plan of the early Vancouver train to Seattle for that. If you had your fill, you could take the evening Van train to Seattle.

I don't think you would regret taking the Cascades up from Seattle.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,134 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best way from Seattle two people in their 60's

not to worry as its far easier going into Canada on a bus vs coming back to the US. I've done it 5 times this summer and actually the border process is pretty easy considering. Buses have thier own lane and yes you have to go thru customs but its not terrible. Coming home is normally far more congested with cruise ship transfers etc. While I definitely prefer the train the bus is ok especially Amtrak vs Quick Shuttle which can take over 5 hrs.

Council Bluffs, Iowa
Level Contributor
66 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best way from Seattle two people in their 60's

thanks so much for the advice Since we are from the Midwest we are new to this experience. It's going to be a great adventure!

Council Bluffs, Iowa
Level Contributor
66 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best way from Seattle two people in their 60's

Got it booked for three nights so we can really enjoy Vancouver and not rush the whole time.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,936 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best way from Seattle two people in their 60's

Hi mkjmitch;

Just a reminder…citizens of the United States require one of the following to cross the border by land.

• U.S. Passport

• U.S. Passport Card

• Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL)

• Trusted Traveler Program Card

For complete details;

http://www.knowyourborder.gov/

Best Regards

Edited: 31 August 2011, 04:19
Decatur, GA
Level Contributor
247 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best way from Seattle two people in their 60's

we're doing something similar. arriving in Seattle around 1pm and then taking the train to Vancouver that evening. my question is this: can we check our luggage into the Amtrak station early or is there a place at the station to store our luggage for a fee?