We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions - Visiting in May

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Questions - Visiting in May

Hello!

We are planning on coming for 2 weeks in May for our honeymoon and I've got a couple of questions about our trip.

Firstly when is best in May? I know there is a holiday weekend, which seems to be when a lot of the tourist attractions open. Any idea of the dates of this in 2012? (We don't want to miss the lumberjack show at Grouse Mountain!)

Is May a good time to see Whales & Bears?

Will there still be enough snow at Whistler for snowboarding? And if not is there enough to do there for a couple of days? Or should we make it a day trip?

One of the reasons I wanted to come to Vancouver was that I saw a picture of long beach, Tofino. However it seems to be a long way to go and pretty expensive there. Is there anywhere closer to Vancouver that you could reccomend that is still as pretty and has a feeling of remoteness but not quite as far and expensive?

Any help you could give us would be much appreciated!

Thanks x

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,040 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions - Visiting in May

Overall, May is a bit touch-and-go with the weather, but coming from Glasgow, you'll be acclimatized for that.

The Victoria Day long weekend is the third weekend in May, so it will be May 19 - 24 next year. It often rains, but you are correct in that this weekend is considered the unofficial start to summer.

Skiing on the top of Whistler Blackcomb runs into May and June, so you should be able to board a bit. There won't be any snow in the village though. I think Whistler is a great destination year round, with lots to do at any time, so it should be easy to fill a couple of days.

Tofino/Long Beach is pretty spectacular. We took part of our vacation out there this year and really, there's not anywhere else quite like it, not in BC anyway. The west coast of Vancouver Island is a long way from Vancouver, yes, and I'm afraid that we really can't change that for you (as much as we might like to). Another destination that is a bit more accessible is the coastal areas north of Victoria towards Port Renfrew. A rockier coast line than the coves and beaches of the Pacific Rim, but still lovely.

The inland coastal areas are quite different, but still lovely. You might look at the Montague Harbour area of Galiano Island or perhaps somewhere up the Sunshine Coast, like Sechelt, for some ideas.

Happy planning.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
320 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions - Visiting in May

May average temps are low/high of 8c and 18c with 12 wet days, though "wet" here seldom means wet all day. June has 11 wet days, so any time in May is fine, though it will be a bit warmer toward the end of the month.

I can't imagine spending two weeks in these parts and not going to Vancouver Island. I would recommend both Tofino and Campbell River, both of which offer wilderness experiences – whales, fishing, bears, scenery. – plus Victoria. Do your research about places to stay, ask more questions here and it shouldn't be too expensive that early in the season.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions - Visiting in May

Thanks very much to both of you!

Vancouverite6... I've been looking into the Sunshine coast, which is very pretty but it's just not like Tofino. I think we're just going to have to find a good deal, because I keep being called back to it.

The plan so far is to do 4 nights in Tofino, 8 nights in Vancouver and 2 nights in Whistler.

Thanks again.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
320 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions - Visiting in May

Take a look at West Coast Wilderness Lodge in Egmont: they have a good reputation and various activities. Lowest overnight rate this past spring was about $140.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,040 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions - Visiting in May

I think Pacific Rim is special and you won't regret going out there. Tofino and Uclulet are both lovely, although its a rockier coast line around Uclulet, whereas Tofino has the sandy coves. We stayed at Crystal Cove and really liked it.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions - Visiting in May

Really enjoyed the Long Beach Lodge Resort in Tofino. We went there for our honeymoon although didn't stay there; it is quite a magical place for a honeymoon and I think combining it with Vancouver is great. When we book our trips, we always do a combination of city and country.

L4

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions - Visiting in May

Thanks everyone!

PeterGrant76 - Wow, that looks fab. Exactly the sort of thing we were looking for. I've saved that link!

What's the best way to get to Tofino? We were thinking float plane one way and bus/ferry the other. Coming from Scotland we drive on the left, and we're not used to automatics, so we're a little daunted about renting a car, although it does seem to be the easiest, cheapest & fastest way to get around outside Vancouver...

Oh does anyone know when the hockey season is? We were hoping to see a game, even just on TV in a bar (I hear it can be very difficult to get tickets).

Thanks everyone! x

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions - Visiting in May

The regular hockey season runs from October to April. Depending on how far the Canucks make it in the playoffs they may still be playing in May.

According to the Whistler website they will have skiing till May 21st next year on Blackcomb. This will of course be dependent on how much snow is received. Last winter the mountains got a lot of snow but who knows what the weather will be this winter.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
320 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions - Visiting in May

Yes, you can fly and bus/ferry to Tofino, but you may regret not having the flexibility of a car, particularly if you're doing more extensive area touring. And driving here is not difficult in May, easier, IMO, than in Scotland.

If the Canucks are playing in May, getting a ticket may be difficult, but if you're willing to pay what scalpers or re-sellers ask, it can be done. Others may have better advice on that.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions - Visiting in May

Thanks again! Great help here as always! x