We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

December

Dublin
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
December

Hi

Can anyone recommend some romantic hotels, restaurants and activities during December?

I know the weather won't be the best but there may be some

Thanks

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,830 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: December

The Van Dusen Gardens decorate the gardens with Christmas lights and that might be something nice for an evening. There is a Santa Claus parade, but I don't think that qualifies for romantic! I think it is in November anyway. There are dozens of hotels in Vancouver that could be romantic. I think some of the bed and breakfasts might be more romantic though....

And you could get a Christmas Carol ship! Lots of people on those, but they are still lots of fun to do. Not much more that I can think of, I'm afraid! Somebody in Vancouver will have some more ideas for you I'm sure. It's been too long since I lived there!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,677 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: December

Here is a sample of what was Christmas highlights were on show last year. This year's press releases should be coming out soon.

• the Bright Nights in Stanley Park Christmas train (probably tix will go on sale through ticketmaster.ca and well worth buying in advance to avoid long line ups on the day-of.) Nov 26-Jan 2 (closed Christmas Day), 3-10 pm. Farmyard to 9 pm.

vancouver.ca/parks/events/brightnights/

• the Woodward’s Christmas Windows may be out on display. No announcement yet for 2011. They consist of the original wooden moveable-parts diorama type almost life sized scenes. These were originally displayed in the 1940/50s in one of our now long gone department stores. Dec 1-24.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6Qz4uUOjFU

• Van Dusen Gardens with its Christmas lights display. Dec 10-Jan2, 4:30-9:00.

vancouver.ca/PARKS/…fol.htm

• Canyon Lights at Capilano Suspension Bridge. Dec 3-Jan 2., 5-9 pm (closed Christmas Day.)

http://www.capbridge.com/canyonlights/

• Gingerbread Lane and Enchanted Village at the Hyatt throughout the lobby. Each gingerbread confection (40+ of them) is prepared by culinary arts students, high school students, professional chefs and amateurs. 24/7. Nov 23 - Dec 27. Donations to Make-A-Wish Foundation. Lots of photos from last year’s competition:

goodlifevancouver.com/gingerbread-lane-at-th…

• You actually may be able to rent ice skates at Robson Square.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,180 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: December

Romantic hotel? Wedgewood. Romantic Restaurant? Le Gavroche.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: December

Romantic room: Pacific Rim Fairmont Signature Room.

fairmont.com/pacificrim/…GuestRoomsIndex.htm

L4

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,990 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: December

I always think that getting out on the water is a romantic thing to do, and on a nice winter day around here, that can be a lovely thing to do.

The other thing is to go up the mountains. There will be snow by then, even if the skiing isn't open yet. A night snowshoe tour and chocolate fondue has always sounded very romantic to me.

http://cypressmountain.com/snowshoe-tours

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: December

For the hotels, it is really dependant on how much you want to spend. There are some hotels like the Sheraton, the Pan Pacific, and the Coast Hotel that can offer some packages at various times of the year.

http://www.sheratonvancouver.com/

www.panpacific.com/en/Vancouver/offers/

coasthotels.com/hotels/…overview

If you want some slightly cheaper places to stay, there is also the holiday inn express Richmond, and Sandman Inn Richmond, and they also offer some great packages too, depending on the time in Dec you come.

As for restaurants, Vancouver offers countless amounts of restaurants, there are some like the Keg (Granville Island) Aqua Riva (Downtown Vancouver), Olympia (Westside of Vancouver), Bridges (Granville Island) as a few examples of places that Vancouver has to offer.Those are only a few of the types of cuisine that Vancouver has, they also have Italian, Chinese, Thai, and so on.

As for activities, depending on when you come to Vancouver in December, there is the Christmas Lights at Stanley Park, and at St. Pauls Hospital to look at, as well as a Toy Drive Pancake Breakfast sometimes at one of the hotels downtown, there is also the Santa Claus Parade. The city of Vancouver also looks so pretty with all of the lights up during the festive time. If you're into skiing, snowshoeing, etc., then the coastal mountains (Seymour, Grouse, and Cypress) have skiing open. Also, there are the Christmas Carol Cruise Ships that you can go on as well.

As for the weather, it can go either way. There have been years that we have gotten a fair bit of sun during December, and then there have been other years, where we have gotten driving rain and winds, and/or snow, so it really depends on the type of year that we have, as being on a coastal area, there is always a cyclical pattern, where some years we get the warmer air from the ocean, and then some years, where we get more the air from the interior. It is very hard to say what it will be like this year.

What to wear is always the question on people's minds when they come to our beautiful city. I suggest most people who have not come here before, so don't really know what to expect with the weather should layer. Bring some tee-shirts etc, and layer, with a vest etc. so that you can take off layers if you get too warm.

I hope that this helps you.

Edited: 05 October 2011, 20:57
Dublin
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: December

Thanks for all your suggestions. I am definately starting to get a plan for my trip together.

I was looking into booking the Rosewood Georgia Hotel for a few nights but I didnt pounce soon enough an it looks to be booked solid around the 17th December.

The research continues..............

8. Re: December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 12:15