We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visting Vancouver for 3 months and NEED ADVICE!

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Visting Vancouver for 3 months and NEED ADVICE!

Hello! My boyfriend and I are moving to Vancouver for 3 months and I am looking for some adivce. Our plan is to leave at the end of Janurary and lease a place for 3 months. We both want to do a fair amount of snowboarding/sleding/tubing and are also hoping to catch the beginning of spring in April. Our budget for housing is about $1500. We are in our mid twenties looking for a place with adventure/night life/fun! I just have some questions...

1. Where to lease a place?

Downtown looks nice but maybe a little too expensive, North is appealing bc it is closer to skiing...

2. How is driving from Vancouver to Whistler or other ski villages?

We will have a car there.

3. Is winter a bad time to visit?

We are worried about being stuck inside too much due to bad weather.

4. Hows the nightlife situation if you do not live downtown?

cab/public transportation and nightlife not in downtown

I know I am forgetting so much stuff but this it for now. Any advice is much appreciated and can't wait to visit!

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,731 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visting Vancouver for 3 months and NEED ADVICE!

More short term accommodation downtown. see VRBO.com. Local skiing is close to everything. Whistler is 90-120 minutes and the winter road maintenance is good. I've had more severe winter weather in Texas. Most nightlife is downtown and downtown is small enough to leave the car parked. Escaping downtown nightlife late at night is a little tough by public transport but not bad by costly taxi.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,883 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visting Vancouver for 3 months and NEED ADVICE!

Hi Jessica ~

A friendly comment. Try to keep your questions travel related as relocation questions are likely to be removed by Trip Advisor. A 3 month holiday, great. A 3 month lease, hmm.

Re: staying in North Vancouver, there are plenty of ski busses up from the city, so no worries there. You'd enjoy being in the city more.

Is that budget $1500 for the whole 3 months?

Edited: 13 October 2011, 20:55
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visting Vancouver for 3 months and NEED ADVICE!

Thanks for the quick responses! Awesome! We are definately just traveling, not looking to relocate but ty for the heads up (first time poster)! The $1500 is per a month for rent/utilities.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
10,960 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visting Vancouver for 3 months and NEED ADVICE!

You might also cxheck Craigslist for a short term vacation rental/sublet. Agree nightlife is downtown..but transit is good in town.. check out areas such as .Coal harbor/West End/ yaletown./ Olympic Village areas.Tons of skiing on local hills.Cypress, Grouse, Seymour ..also you might look at a season's pass at Whistler.. are you a student? if so you can get a really good deal.

January will be rainy and dark but should be good skiing.. Februaru still rain but usually less. also possibly snow for a day or two in boith Jan and Feb in Vancouver proper..March should be flowers/ sun/ rain/ we do stuff outdoors pretty much all yaer long here.. lots of short hiking opportunities.. have even done kayaking in False Creek in February.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,883 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visting Vancouver for 3 months and NEED ADVICE!

IMO, Craigslist is great for locals who can go and check things out in person. But for people from away who enquire about a place, more care is needed. Especially if the landlord/owner asks for deposit payment by Western Union. It could all be good, but you don't want to risk arriving to the address to find yourself staring at a bike shop. You can google "rental scams craigslist" to get a variety of points of view, whether holiday or regular residential.

Some tips:

www.wikihow.com/Avoid-Scams-on-Craigslist

Blind Bay, BC
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visting Vancouver for 3 months and NEED ADVICE!

Here's a few vacation rental places you might want to check out:

vacationrentals.com/vacation-rentals/Vancouv…

or these on Kijiji :

…kijiji.ca/f-real-estate-short-term-rentals-…

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Visting Vancouver for 3 months and NEED ADVICE!

Airbnb seems popular these days.

Example:

http://www.airbnb.com/rooms/241089

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visting Vancouver for 3 months and NEED ADVICE!

Hi Jessica B,

Welcome to the VANCOUVER TRAVEL FORUM

As always great info here from my esteemed colleague MUFTI MIX AND MATCH… there indeed are a lot of problems these days with Private Rental Scams being conducted over the internet… so be sure and read up to protect yourself.

The worst of the lot seem to be Websites that don’t have many controls about what they list… so Craig’s List – Kijiji – and AirBnB (the last one here being the newcomer who is generating a lot of BUZZ on-line … but accommodations can be misrepresented… there are stories of folks expecting a B&B and finding they aren’t getting much more than a “couch surfing” experience)

Your odds improve if you use a Website that specializes in Rental Properties and has some monitoring or vetting of the places that they list…

VRBO has a decent reputation (but again you have to ask Questions and do your checking)… TripAdvisor’s sister website FLIPKEY is excellent too in that they have more controls in place than many such websites… I’ve used FLIPKEY in the past for a Vacation Rental and was very pleased… the property was EXACTLY as advertised here on TA and in our particular case the rental went thru a large Property Management Company… so they had a reputation that we could check on line. I would not hesitate use FLIPKEY again or recommend them to others.

You can find FLIPKEY Rentals on TA by looking at a Destination’s TRAVEL PAGES (those buttons to the left of the screen)… under HOLIDAY RENTALS.

The REVIEWS here on TA are all factual… no fakes… as each Renter is given a code that they put into the website when they return to be able to write a REVIEW… this certainly IMO makes the website info on properties far more reputable.

I did a quick look… and for just VANCOUVER there are 115 Properties listed… you’d have to check other Destinations (ie Vancouver Suburbs) to find listings for other areas.

Hope this is helpful,

Enjoy the Snowboarding and other Winter activities...

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visting Vancouver for 3 months and NEED ADVICE!

From experience in my building I would also suggest once you have a suite in mind ask for the buildings name ( most have one ) and the property company that manages the building. Then contact the property company yourself and find out if the strata ( condo owners council ) allows rentals at all. In my building we have " caught " owners renting out suites against our rules and have had to cease and were fined. They then of course would have to notify future renters that the suite was no longer available.

You are lucky in one respect that you are renting for 3 months and some buildings, mine included, have this as a minimum rental period.

Good luck and if you do find a place and need info on the building or neighbourhood please ask.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visting Vancouver for 3 months and NEED ADVICE!

Thank you again for all the info! It is really helping my research. Once I can narrow down a specific area I will def. post. Can anyone give me some info about basic cost of living i.e. groceries/dinner and drinks/clothing comparatively to the states? Also thinking about bringing the mountain bikes. Is feb/mar a bad time for that?