We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what is the value to stop by for myself?

Kyoto, Japan
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
1 review
Save Topic
what is the value to stop by for myself?

I will be back to California in January through mid April. I often took United Airline with reasonable fare. However, in this year they changed 3month fare to be doubled as well as American and Japan Air. So my choice will be Air Canada flight via Vancouver.

So I am wondering I can stay in Vancouver comfortable in another month of April and a half of May. It is likely to have many furnished apartments in Vancouver for my short time stay, but the cost is almost double of my studio in California. Is it value to stay one month there?

Cheery blossom, which I will miss in Tokyo, in Vancouver in another thread helped me to understand it will be in mid or later in April. Any other attractions available I can enjoy in Vancouver? One of my favorite past time is watching rugby I played quite a long time. Do you have any stadium or university pitch to see British Columbia rugby scene? Although have glanced at British Columbia Rugby and University of British Columbia rugby pages, it is not crystal clear. Please advise.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,779 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what is the value to stop by for myself?

Hi Sanfran1946 ~ welcome to the forum.

The second half of April and the first half of May is quite beautiful here. But it could rain quite a lot in that time. Our weather is very changeable. You will need to bring rain gear - a water resistant jacket with a hood - and an umbrella.

What are your interests? Do you like to do indoor things such as visit museums, art galleries, or do you like to do outdoor things like hike, board, cycle? Will you rent a car?

From what you say, paying for a furnished apartment is all you want to pay for. You could stay in Vancouver for a month, but go to Victoria for a few days, go to Tofino for a few days, go to Whistler for a few days. These other places would obviously create additional costs, so I'm not sure if you want to do that. It sounds like you want to pay for one accommodation, so IMO staying in Vancouver for one month would be a long time.

I think you would enjoy two weeks in Vancouver, with perhaps a day trip to Whistler (2-3 hours one way) and possible a day trip to Victoria. Going to Victoria on Pacific Coach Lines would take 4 hours one way. From May 1st, PCL offers a 1 pm Victoria departure to Vancouver that includes a stop at Butchart Gardens en route to Vancouver, arriving in Vancouver about 7:30 pm. That might be something you are interested in.

www.pacificcoach.com

www.butchartgardens.com/index.php…

Here are some other attractions and activities you might enjoy researching:

VANCOUVER DOWNTOWN:

Stanley Park, including the Aquarium

Gastown - for a self guided walking tour: http://www.gastown.org/history/index.html --> take a self guided walking tour. Otherwise this historic birthplace of Vancouver will just be brick and stone to you.

Chinatown

Robson Street

Bill Reid Gallery at 639 Hornby St. between Dunsmuir and Georgia

Vancouver Art Gallery, with its great Gallery Café

The Marine Building at 355 Burrard St. for the exterior, facade, entrance, foyer and the inside of the brass-doored elevators. Notice the marine and ship themes. Office hours only.

NORTH SHORE:

Grouse Mountain

Lynn Canyon Susp Bridge (free) or Capilano Susp Bridge ($$$)

SOUTH SIDE OF FALSE CREEK

Granville Island and False Creek

Maritime Museum - www.vancouvermaritimemuseum.com/page216.htm

Van Dusen Gardens

Queen Elizabeth Park and the Bloedel Conservatory

4 Self Guided walks - vancouver.ca/commsvcs/…index.htm

Museum of Anthropology at UBC

Nitobe Memorial Gardens at UBC - http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/nitobe

Greenheart Canopy Walkway at UBC Botanical Gardens –

www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/canopy-walkway

Edited: 05 November 2011, 16:50
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,189 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what is the value to stop by for myself?

Vancouver is amongst, if not the most expensive place to live in our country. Having said that, it is also a beautiful place to live. You might have a difficult time finding a furnished apartment that someone would be willing to rent to you for just 6 weeks. Have you checked out vrbo (vacation rental by owner) sites? That might be an option for you.

I can't answer the rugby questions... sorry!

But there are tons of options of things to see and do in Vancouver. Use the links to the right side of this page to get you started.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what is the value to stop by for myself?

Here is some information on Vancouver's Cherry Blossom Festival (running in April 2012) -

http://www.vcbf.ca/

Sorry, don't know about rugby.

Kyoto, Japan
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: what is the value to stop by for myself?

Thanks for your comments; particularly special thanks to MuftiMixandmatch for your detailed tourist guide. I will not need guide book any more.

Have located UBC stadium in the campus. However, still not sure if you have rugby matches in the stadium in April.

Will stop by to your beautiful city in the future .

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,989 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what is the value to stop by for myself?

Rugby is rarely mentioned in the local sportscast. There were some reports during the Rugby World Cup, your best bet would be to google some info on local amateur leagues.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,556 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what is the value to stop by for myself?

I enjoy rugby too, but its difficult to find here, being considered more of a recreational sport than a competitive sport, although I have noticed the slight increase in profile in the last couple of years.

Most of the rugby I've seen has been at Brockton Oval at Stanley Park. I don't know if you can browse the Rugby BC site and find specific team and game information:

http://www.bcrugby.com/

I believe its mostly a winter game here. I'm afraid I don't really know what their season is.

Ah - here we go. A schedule with locations for games in April/May:

bcrugby.com/web-leagues/…

As far as staying here, well, I think a stay of that length of time is different from being a tourist for a few days, and I think, yes, you could very easily occupy yourself if you take the approach of getting to know the area and exploring the different neighbourhoods. If you like walking/hiking, you could probably go to a different park or trail 5 days a week and not repeat a walk. As mentioned, you'd need to be prepared to head out in the rain.

Actually, on that note, I was coming back from Eagle Ridge hospital on Wednesday evening through Port Moody. We drove past Inlet Park which is a really beautiful park and trail around the toe of the inlet. It was full dark night, and it was POURING with rain, and very cold (it snowed last night, so maybe 4 or 5 C). I bet we passed 30 or 40 people out walking dogs, jogging or walking as we drove along that short stretch - even one guy wearing shorts. People in this part of the world just don't let the weather stop them, and that's just the attitude you have to take to the weather around here. With the right gear, and a warm shower to go back to, its not a big deal.

I'd suggest you spend some time on the different tourist sites and get a feel for what Vancouver has to offer. For that length of time, you would probably save quite a bit by staying a little bit out of downtown, perhaps on the North Shore or in Richmond, or maybe Burnaby. As much as downtown has the vibe, the furnished apartment market is targeting movie stars here for long term movie shoots and the price bracket is HIGH.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I've lived here off an on for over 40 years and I still have places I need to go and see and things I have yet to do. A lifetime isn't enough, provided you come with a sense of curiosity and adventure and a willingness to try things that, on the outside, might seem a bit cheesy or silly. With a growing arts and culture scene, there's a lot going on here all the time, so yes, I don't think you'd have any trouble at all filling your time with movies, concerts, galleries, hikes, plays, sporting events, etc, etc etc.

7. Re: what is the value to stop by for myself?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2012, 10:17