We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fairmont Hotels

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NYC, USA
Level Contributor
156 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Fairmont Hotels

SO much looking forward to a March trip to Whistler and Vancouver. We're all good to go up at Whistler. But we're planning an extra 4 days afterwards to sightsee in Vancouver.

We need to choose between the Waterfront and Pacific Rim Fairmonts. I understand the Pacific Rim is newer, but from what I can learn they are both gorgeous hotels (both have quite favorable reviews here with the Pacific Rim rating slightly higher). I'm not as familiar with the location of each relative to shopping, tourism and restaurants. No doubt that should be part of our decision.

We're a small family of 3 so we'll likely be taking a junior suite or the like. Any suggestions would be appreciated. This should only be my most difficult decision I will need to make :-).

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,923 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fairmont Hotels

they are within two blocks or so of each other so really no difference at all. From either you will be 7 blocks up to Robson which is the main shopping area. Have you considered the Hotel Vancouver? Its more in the heart of the city, though older its a classy old hotel and its virtually right on Robson. Since the hotels are pretty quiet in march you might want to reconsider and be more in the 'heart' of the city, though the waterfront ones are only a short walk away. Just something else to worry about.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,934 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fairmont Hotels

Waterfront is closer to the airport subway, closer to shopping at Sinclair and Pacific Centres and closer to Gastown. Pac Rim is only a couple hundred yards farther. Pac Rim is a little less a business hotel and has a wee bit more elegance. Pac Rim would be my choice.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,083 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fairmont Hotels

The Pacific Rim is modern, chic, and slightly Asian-inspired. They also have a fantastic cocktail lounge... it's a sexy hotel. The Waterfront isn't sexy... it's more of a traditional plush business hotel.

NYC, USA
Level Contributor
156 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fairmont Hotels

Thanks for the responses. Since we're not on a business trip it would appear that the Pac Rim might be the better destination. I didn't realize that they were just 2 blocks apart. If they price out the same for a junior suite, I'll take your advice and book there.

Thanks again! This place is so excellent for these minor choices that make me NUTS!

Wonder if either has a staff (mental) therapist? :-)

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,584 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fairmont Hotels

I beleive the Waterfront has a dog you can take for walks ;) but not sure about the therapist

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fairmont Hotels

The Pac Rim would be the best choice (especially if you get a view of the harbour). The hotel is quite modern, the restaurant has good food and there's a little coffee area. The Hotel Vancouver is getting tired looking. Right between the Fairmont Waterfront and the Pac Rim, is Tickets Tonight where you can get same day half price tickets to plays, etc. depending on what's available that day.

L4

NYC, USA
Level Contributor
156 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fairmont Hotels

Thanks folks! Booking the Pac Rim.

8. Re: Fairmont Hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 November 2012, 10:25