We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver Business Trip

Perth, Australia
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Vancouver Business Trip

Hi all,

I arrive in Vancouver at lunchtime on Sunday. This is my first visit to Canada I am travelling alone.

I only really have Sunday afternoon and Mon/Tues/Wed evenings to do a bit of sight seeing. Can you recommend anything worth doing after sunset (keeping in mind it's going to be raining the whole time). Are there any places (bars etc) to go and meet people?

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
26,113 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vancouver Business Trip

Are you staying right downtown? Sightseeing after sunset is difficult. Most places close early on weekdays too, including the shopping malls, except for Thursday and Friday nights. Bars will be open, but can't really give an opinion here. One thing that would be beautiful, is going up to Grouse Mountain. It is on the north shore, and you can use public transit to get there. The city view would be amazing from up there in the evening.

Perth, Australia
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vancouver Business Trip

Yeah, I am staying at the Fairmont on west Georgia street..

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,827 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vancouver Business Trip

It gets dark at 4:30pm. So it depends on your arrival time and where you are staying. Give us that and ideas will flow.

Perth, Australia
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vancouver Business Trip

I arrive at 11.50am on Sunday and will be in meetings until 5pm on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday..

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
62,396 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vancouver Business Trip

Sunset next week will be 4:25 pm. The forecast for rain means very little. Our weather is changeable. It will or it won't. You won't know until much closer to next week.

On Sunday afternoon, I would take the Vancouver Trolley HOHO. Its route includes going around Stanley Park. You could visit the Aquarium for a couple of hours, if that interests you, then hop on a later trolley. The Aquarium closes at 5.

On Tuesday night after 5 pm, the Art Gallery is open to 9 pm and charges half price to enter. The Art Gallery also has a great Gallery Cafe upstairs. The gift shop is quite comprehensive as well.

Robson St between Burrard and about Bute would be fine for walking and window shopping. I'm pretty sure the retail stores along there stay open until 9 on weekdays, but not 100% sure about that. Perhaps one of the other local posters could speak to that. If you wanted to walk downtown in the evening stay west of Richards St or so. It's safe to do so.

Pacific Center Mall at Georgia and Granville, including Sears dept store and Holt Renfrew will be open Wednesday until 9 pm. It's huge and two levels.

Edit: Hotel Vancouver is a great location, very central and Pac Center, Art Gallery and Robson st are all walkable.

Edited: 17 November 2011, 05:52
Perth, Australia
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vancouver Business Trip

Thank you :)

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,508 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vancouver Business Trip

Pacific Centre stores are open until 7 pm on Monday and Tuesday so if the weather is really awful you can at least shop! Besides the art gallery on Tuesday evening the Museum of Anthropolgy at UBC is open on Tuesday nights.. fabulous collection of northwest native artifacts/totem poles/art etc.

http://www.moa.ubc.ca/ you could either bus it or take a cab out.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vancouver Business Trip

Go to either Yaletown or the Granville Entertainment District if you want to party at bars. If that's you in the profile picture I don't think you will have a problem meeting people. ;)

9. Re: Vancouver Business Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2012, 10:20